Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Shared memory and C++ Objects (cont) Post 14571 by Seeker on Saturday 2nd of February 2002 10:27:31 AM
Old 02-02-2002
thanx

To all those who helped calrify matters.
It has been most helpful.

Seeker.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Runtime Linking shared Objects

I'm runtime linking (dlopen and dlsym) to a shared object (library) I've created and after a number of function calls into the library the program core dumps (Illegal operation). This only occurs during runtime linking. If I use the same library and dynamically link during compile time everything... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dneely
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shared Objects

Hi Friends ! I have a library, say libxyz.a. To view all the object files in the archive, i issued the command : ar -t libxyz.a which displayed all the object files it contains. Now, I would like to know the functions in each object file. Is there any such command that displays... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrgubbala
3 Replies

3. Programming

Linking with shared objects

hi all ! Do I need all the shared objects to be present while compiling my code which has reference to a only one shared object, which in turn refers to another shared object. for example I want to compile example.c which refers to sample.so sample.so has refrence to anothersample.so do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: disclaimer
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared Objects

Hi. Does anyone know by how much a text size of an executable(on ibm) would grow if you link one shared object(library)? Is it a constant number or it depends on a .so that is linked? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yura
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

debugging shared objects

Hi, i am trying to debug a binary which is using a shared lib. but i could not succeed in tracking the code flow in the classes defined in this library. i get: class MyClass <opaque> error i followed the instructions in the link below:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakari
0 Replies

6. AIX

Wrong Shared objects getting loaded

I have two envoirmets(Envoirment A and Envoirment B) running on same server(AIX vesion 5.3).Both have different groups.I am facing a strange problem.Shared objects of one envoirment (Envoirment A)are getting loaded into the second(Envoirment B).So the servers that have dependency on shared objects... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin@tcs
2 Replies

7. Programming

g++ with -frepo and shared objects...

G'day, I have been working with a large application that makes extensive use of templates. When compiled under Unix (with g++), this sees some rather impressive bloat. I have been trying to make a temporary quick-fix by using the -frepo option, which results in dramatically smaller shared... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elric of Grans
0 Replies

8. Programming

Creation and Accessing Shared Objects (.so)

Hi, I am looking for references about creating and accessing Shared Objects (.so) through C/C++ on Unix / Linux platforms. Is it possible and where can I find the info. Thanks Phil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phil nascimento
1 Replies

9. Linux

Make file for shared objects

dear Experts, please help, actually i am trying to create a .so(shared object through make file through ld) i am not understaning how to proceed i have tried like through command like i can do it in 2 step like my progam :test2.c $gcc -fPIC -c test2.c $ld -shared -soname test2.so -o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared objects -urgent please help me out

Hi All...... I have my tool in my one server lets say E1 and same tool I tried to install in E2 server so everything is fine but, while executing the my tool for example... $ ./batch At that time Im getting this following error. ./batch: error while loading shared libraries: libqabwvcd.so:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
3 Replies
dispatch_object(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					dispatch_object(3)

NAME
dispatch_object -- General manipulation of dispatch objects SYNOPSIS
#include <dispatch/dispatch.h> void dispatch_retain(dispatch_object_t object); void dispatch_release(dispatch_object_t object); void dispatch_suspend(dispatch_object_t object); void dispatch_resume(dispatch_object_t object); void * dispatch_get_context(dispatch_object_t object); void dispatch_set_context(dispatch_object_t object, void *context); void dispatch_set_finalizer_f(dispatch_object_t object, dispatch_function_t finalizer); DESCRIPTION
Dispatch objects share functions for coordinating memory management, suspension, cancellation and context pointers. While all dispatch objects are retainable, not all objects support suspension, context pointers or finalizers (currently only queues and sources support these additional interfaces). MEMORY MANGEMENT
Objects returned by creation functions in the dispatch framework may be uniformly retained and released with the functions dispatch_retain() and dispatch_release() respectively. The dispatch framework does not guarantee that any given client has the last or only reference to a given object. Objects may be retained internally by the system. SUSPENSION
The invocation of blocks on dispatch queues or dispatch sources may be suspended or resumed with the functions dispatch_suspend() and dispatch_resume() respectively. The dispatch framework always checks the suspension status before executing a block, but such changes never affect a block during execution (non-preemptive). Therefore the suspension of an object is asynchronous, unless it is performed from the context of the target queue for the given object. The result of suspending or resuming an object that is not a dispatch queue or a dispatch source is undefined. Important: suspension applies to all aspects of the dispatch object life cycle, including the finalizer function and cancellation handler. Therefore it is important to balance calls to dispatch_suspend() and dispatch_resume() such that the dispatch object is fully resumed when the last reference is released. The result of releasing all references to a dispatch object while in a suspended state is undefined. CONTEXT POINTERS
Dispatch queues and sources support supplemental context pointers. The value of the context pointer may be retrieved and updated with dispatch_get_context() and dispatch_set_context() respectively. The dispatch_set_finalizer_f() specifies an optional per-object finalizer function that is invoked asynchronously if the context pointer is not NULL when the last reference to the object is released. This gives the application an opportunity to free the context data associated with the object. The result of getting or setting the context of an object that is not a dispatch queue or a dispatch source is undefined. SEE ALSO
dispatch(3), dispatch_group_create(3), dispatch_queue_create(3), dispatch_semaphore_create(3), dispatch_source_create(3) Darwin May 1, 2009 Darwin