Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers max charachters for usernames Post 14522 by thehoghunter on Friday 1st of February 2002 10:50:13 AM
Old 02-01-2002
Some info -
From docs.sun.com:
http://docs.sun.com/ab2/coll.47.4/SY...Enc=iso-8859-1

User (Login) Names
User names, also called login names, let users access their own systems and remote systems that have the appropriate access privileges. You must choose a user name for each user account you create. User names must:

Be unique within your organization, which may span multiple domains

Contain from two to eight letters and numerals (the first character must be a letter and at least one character must be a lowercase letter)

Not contain an underscore or space

---------------------------
You can have a username longer than what is documented. I tested on a Solaris 2.6 system and found that the following worked with no problems

userids12red

I also tried userids12 as a login since the documentation says it's a max of 8 characters, but I could not log in (believing that the system should see the first 8 characters and let me in anyway)
thehoghunter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting single charachters

Hello! brand new to unix (let alone scripting) I have come hit a step I can't seem to get around. in a text file I have information such as :- INFORM_USERS_IB COMPLETED llprod 20011003:100608 What I need to do is extract the 55th and 56t charachter, then insert a : then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamsta
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting the top two lines, and also charachters below.

Hey all. I have a file that I am trying to cut information out of. We have a script that shows us all of our Radio Scanners that are being used and I'm writing a script that clears all of the context off of the scanners. The script that runs shows us this information below... |emp_id ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Usernames and processes most used

I need a command that returns the usernames that have ran the 10 processes that have taken the most time to execute on a machine. I also need a command that returns only those directories that have read/execute permissions for all the users. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anw68ster
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting usernames with at least 4 characters

Hi, i want to use grep to extract users with at least 4 characters in their username, i've tried who | grep \{4,\} but thats not working!!!!!! Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
4 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

What is meant by the words under usernames?

Under all users, there are some keynames. Some are obvious, like Moderator and Registered User. I have seen others too. What do they mean or signify?;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Usernames across Applications

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if there was a way to make it so that usernames could be used across applications. For instance, I have a server that has a bunch of users. I want these users to have ways of accessing my database as well as a variety of other programs, but I don't want them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonzofish
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Usernames in Sudoers have #

We have users that have a # in their username. Sudo is working on some servers and not others. I have narrowed it down to the # in their username. Any suggestions or ideas why it is working on 1 server but not another. Server not working is - Solaris 10 patch level 138888-01 Server working is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gibby13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string (charachters inside the line) to a fixed width file using awk or sed

Source File: abcdefghijklmnop01qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop02qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop03qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop04qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop05qrstuvwxyz Whatever characters are in 17-18 on each line of the file, it should be concatenated to the same line at the character number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
6 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Display usernames and their UIDs

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a script that displays all usernames and their UIDs in the following fashion: name1 uid=999 name2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baniel
2 Replies
lpstat(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         lpstat(1)

NAME
lpstat - print information about the status of the print service SYNOPSIS
lpstat [-d] [-r] [-R] [-s] [-t] [ -a [list]] [ -c [list]] [ -f [list] [-l]] [ -o [list]] [ -p [list] [-D] [-l]] [ -S [list] [-l]] [ -u [ login- ID -list]] [ -v [list]] DESCRIPTION
The lpstat utility displays information about the current status of the LP print service to standard output. If no options are given, lpstat prints the status of all the user's print requests made by lp. See lp(1). Any arguments that are not options are assumed to be request-IDs as returned by lp. The lpstat command prints the status of such requests. options may appear in any order and may be repeated and intermixed with other arguments. Some key letters may be followed by an optional list that can be in one of two forms: a list of items separated from one another by a comma, or a list of items separated from one another by spaces enclosed in quotes. For example: example% lpstat -u "user1 user2 user3" Specifying all after any key letter that takes list as an argument causes all information relevant to the key letter to be printed. For example, the command: example% lpstat -o all prints the status of all output requests. The omission of a list following such key letters causes all information relevant to the key letter to be printed. For example, the com- mand: example% lpstat -o prints the status of all output requests. The print client commands locate destination information using the "printers" database in the name service switch. See nsswitch.conf(4), printers(4), and printers.conf(4) for details. OPTIONS
The following options are supported on all platforms. -d Prints the default destination for output requests. -o [list] Prints the status of output requests. list is a list of intermixed printer names, class names, and request-IDs. The key letter -o may be omitted. Specify printer and class names using atomic or POSIX-style (server:destination) names. See standards(5) for information regarding POSIX. -r Prints the status of the LP request scheduler. -R Prints a number showing the position of each request in the print queue. -s Prints a status summary, including the status of the LP scheduler, the default destination, a list of printers and their associated devices, a list of the machines sharing print services, a list of all forms currently mounted, and a list of all recognized character sets and print wheels. -t Prints all status information. This includes all the information obtained with the -s option, plus the acceptance and idle/busy status of all printers. -u [login-ID-list] Prints the status of output requests for users. The login-ID-list argument may include any or all of the following constructs: login-ID a user on any system system_name!login-ID a user on system system_name system_name!all all users on system system_name all!login-ID a user on all systems all all users on all systems -v [list] Prints the names of printers and the path names of the devices associated with them or remote system names for net- work printers. list is a list of printer names. The following options return accurate results only if they are issued from a Solaris 2.6 Operating Environment or compatible version of the LP print server. -a [list] Reports whether print destinations are accepting requests. list is a list of intermixed printer names and class names. -c [list] Prints name of all classes and their members. list is a list of class names. -f [list] [-l] Prints a verification that the forms in list are recognized by the LP print service. list is a list of forms; the default is all. The -l option will list the form descriptions. -p [list] [-D] [-l] Prints the status of printers. list is a list of printer names. If the -D option is given, a brief description is printed for each printer in list. If the -l option is given and the printer is on the local machine, a full description of each printer's configuration is returned, including the form mounted, the acceptable content and printer types, a printer description, and the interface used. -S [list] [-l] Prints a verification that the character sets or the print wheels specified in list are recognized by the LP print service. Items in list can be character sets or print wheels; the default for the list is all. If the -l option is given, each line is appended by a list of printers that can handle the print wheel or character set. The list also shows whether the print wheel or character set is mounted, or specifies the built-in character set into which it maps. -d Prints the default destination for output requests. -o [list] Prints the status of output requests. list is a list of intermixed printer names, class names, and request-IDs. The key letter -o may be omitted. -r Prints the status of the LP request scheduler. -R Prints a number showing the position of each request in the print queue. -s Prints a status summary, including the status of the LP scheduler, the default destination, a list of printers and their associated devices, a list of the machines sharing print services, a list of all forms currently mounted, and a list of all recognized character sets and print wheels. -t Prints all status information. This includes all the information obtained with the -s option, plus the acceptance and idle/busy status of all printers. -u [login-ID-list] Prints the status of output requests for users. The login-ID-list argument may include any or all of the following constructs: login-ID a user on any system system_name!login-ID a user on system system_name system_name!all all users on system system_name all!login-ID a user on all systems all all users on all systems -v [list] Prints the names of printers and the path names of the devices associated with them or remote system names for net- work printers. list is a list of printer names. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/var/spool/print/* LP print queue. $HOME/.printers User-configurable printer database. /etc/printers.conf System configuration database. printers.conf.byname NIS version of /etc/printers.conf. printers.org_dir NIS+ version of /etc/printers.conf. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cancel(1), lp(1), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lprm(1B), nsswitch.conf(4), printers( 4), printers.conf(4), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 23 May 2003 lpstat(1)