Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I don't know where to start
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I don't know where to start Post 14496 by DanielB on Friday 1st of February 2002 06:21:32 AM
Old 02-01-2002
1) I would suggest you to get a Linux distribution like RedHat or SuSE. If you don't want to spend money on them you can even download them for free. Have a look at www.redhat.com or www.suse.com. However if you decide to buy one, they both contain some good manuals which will help you with the installation and the basics.

Furthermore they both come with loads of software, basically everything you'll need for a start.

2) Perl, PHP mostly for webstuff.

3) As I said before, you'll find all the tools you need to get started on the CD's of the distribution.

4) You'll find loads of basic information on www.linuxdoc.com.
Then there is of course google.com which will find the answer to many questions you mayhave. Also there is a lot of information about Perl, PHP etc. available on the web.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Don't Know to Rebuild Linux Kernel(URGENT)

Hello. I'm installing Oracle8i on Red Hat Linux Server 7.0. The Oracle documentation has some preinstallation request to be carried before installing the Oracle software. It asks to modify some SEMAPHORE & SHARED MEMORY values in to a specified file. And finally after updating this values it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Don't hate me because I'm stupid...

Hi all, I don't know the first thing about Unix, but I would like to learn. I would like to know what the difference between Linux and Unix is, and where I can obtain a copy of either. Thanks :o (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThisIsNewToMe
8 Replies

3. Programming

a very simple question (but i don't know)

how to write a program that receive a string from keyboard and then print it out. i write a program: main() { char str; gets(str); printf(str); } but when i compile it, the system said something like "new line is not last charicter" and sometime the system said "a3.c is up to date"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

4. Programming

may be simple but i don't know -- Print current date from C program

How to print current date of the Unix system accessing thru C++ program ? I wrote like this #include <time.h> ....... time_t tt; struct tm *tod; .... time(&tt); tod = localtime(&tt); cout << tod->tm_mon + 1 << "/" << tod->tm_mday << "/" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ls1429
6 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Genome Startmenu crashed why I don't Know ??

what I have to do ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atiato
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

SuSE 8.0...I can't get SaX2 to start on Hercules 128 and YaST2 won't set up X either.

I'm trying to set up a school Linux computer and use Samba to link it to Windows NT. Pentium-133 Hercules 8 meg Stingray 128/3D I'm not too familiar with SuSE's config tools (more used to Mandrake) and so am having some trouble configuring X. SaX2 just won't start, even when I use "sax2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HumanBeanDip
1 Replies

8. Programming

A project I'd like to start

Hi, I've been toying with the idea of one of two programs: - a filter that will mulch the source code of X programs to use the GUI toolkit of your choice, or - a generic wrapper for GUI toolkits that can be easily switched to use any one you prefer, perhaps including a similar filter to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: La Temperanza
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I don't where to start.

I am someone who has lived on windows till I knew it inside and out but was very ignorant to other operating systems. Last week, after hearing of a much better operating system with more control and structure, I switched to Unix. I have no idea what I am doing but I am happy to learn. Could... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie sarah
4 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Don't know how to start..

Write a pipeline that takes a file as input and replaces all occurrences of exclamation marks (!) by underscores (_) . The pipeline should also prepend your login at the beginning of every line (the beginning of a line is specified with ^ in Unix) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geena_b
1 Replies
Ns_Url(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 					Ns_Url(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_AbsoluteUrl, Ns_ParseUrl, Ns_RelativeUrl, Ns_SkipUrl - URL manipulation routines SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" int Ns_AbsoluteUrl(Ns_DString *pds, char *url, char *baseurl) int Ns_ParseUrl(char *url, char **pprotocol, char **phost, char **pport, char **ppath, char **ptail) char * Ns_RelativeUrl(char *url, char *location) char * Ns_SkipUrl(Ns_Request *request, int n) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Ns_AbsoluteUrl(pds, url, baseurl) Construct an URL based on baseurl but with as many parts of the incomplete url as possible. Return NS_OK or NS_ERROR. Ns_ParseUrl(url, pprotocol, phost, pport, ppath, ptail) Parse a URL into its component parts. Pointers to the protocol, host, port, path, and "tail" (last path element) will be set by ref- erence in the passed-in pointers. The passed-in url will be modified. Ns_RelativeUrl(url, location) If the url passed in is for this server, then the initial part of the URL is stripped off. e.g., on a server whose location is http://www.foo.com, Ns_RelativeUrl of "http://www.foo.com/hello" will return "/hello". Returns a pointer to the beginning of the relative url in the passed-in url, or NULL if error. Will set errno on error. Ns_SkipUrl(request, n) Return a pointer n elements into the request's url. SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Url(3aolserver)