Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UniX internals Material
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions New to Unix. Which books should I read? UniX internals Material Post 14343 by Neo on Wednesday 30th of January 2002 02:15:57 PM
Old 01-30-2002
What are you looking for exactly?... perhaps we can recommend a few good books for you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on unix internals

will anybody tell me how can i access all the fields of process table .if there is any structure and a system call please specify . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vish_shan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question on UNIX material

I am currently a student at Bergen Community College. My major is Networking Administration. I am having a tough time with INF-254 (UNIX). I need some help! What is "README bit" I am having trouble understanding certain concepts: For Example, what does it mean to set SUID, or SGID? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nelson ele
1 Replies

3. Programming

UNIX Internals, Help required...

I know UNIX user level commands, shell scripts. But i have no idea about kernel level programming and networking. I know the terms semaphore,IPC,socket programming. But i don't know in details what are these. I need to know the following. 1. Unix kernel level programming. 2. Unix Internals. 3.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digdarshan
4 Replies

4. Programming

Good Unix Online Study Material

HI Friends, I wanted to start this thread inorder to keep all the Unix starters to easily find useful material through this thread...I request you all to provide with the URL address of any gud material you know... thanks and regards... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul3894singh
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unix Material

Hi, Can anyone provide the UNIX material. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: biyyanimv
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please??

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjany
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX Admin (Papers and study material)

Hi, I want to prepare and then appear for Unix admin certification. Please guide me for the study material and Exams that are required to be taken for UNIX certifcation. Thanks in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix mail command internals

Hi all , I wanted to know how does a 'mail' command works in unix. Does it use an smtp server internally ? How and where it is configured then ? I am trying to google out the same , but not getting much help. Any suggestions with be of great help. - Andy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anindyabecs
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Study Material

Hi , Can anyone suggest me any UNIX Study material and UNIX Certification specific for TELECOM-DOMAIN. Best Regards, Om Prakash. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprakash1986
14 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

How to switch from SVR4/BSD internals to Linux internals?

Hello, Long-time Unix hacker here - I've worked on four variants of the kernel prior to the introduction of Linux. In my spare time, I've written Linux (Ubuntu) device drivers, kernel modules, cross-compiled, and built the kernel. I'd like to do Linux internals/device drivers as a day job,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OriginalVersion
1 Replies
setsid(2)							   System Calls 							 setsid(2)

NAME
setsid - create session and set process group ID SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> pid_t setsid(void); DESCRIPTION
The setsid() function creates a new session, if the calling process is not a process group leader. Upon return the calling process will be the session leader of this new session, will be the process group leader of a new process group, and will have no controlling terminal. The process group ID of the calling process will be set equal to the process ID of the calling process. The calling process will be the only process in the new process group and the only process in the new session. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, setsid() returns the value of the process group ID of the calling process. Otherwise it returns (pid_t)-1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The setsid() function will fail if: EPERM The calling process is already a process group leader, or the process group ID of a process other than the calling process matches the process ID of the calling process. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getsid(2), setpgid(2), setpgrp(2), attributes(5), standards(5) WARNINGS
A call to setsid() by a process that is a process group leader will fail. A process can become a process group leader by being the last member of a pipeline started by a job control shell. Thus, a process that expects to be part of a pipeline, and that calls setsid(), should always first fork; the parent should exit and the child should call setsid(). This will ensure that the calling process will work reliably when started by both job control shells and non-job control shells. SunOS 5.11 21 Aug 2002 setsid(2)