Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Endless loop - Fork function failed? Post 14339 by thehoghunter on Wednesday 30th of January 2002 12:48:37 PM
Old 01-30-2002
Instead of looping, you are starting another child process which runs another instance of qhistory. The error is telling you that you can't do this anymore.

I can't tell from your code what scripting language you are using so here is a csh example:

#!/bin/csh -f
loop:
echo "Hostname: `hostname`"
mailq|head
sleep 5
goto loop
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Endless Loop

Hi, I'm pretty new to UNIX shell scripting and need some help. We have an Informatica interface that dumps any files that have errors into a directory. I need to check that directory periodically for any of up to 9 files that might be in it and run a specific process for each file found. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JeffR
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PHP] endless loop mimics a cron. Make sure only one instance is running

Hi, PHP user here. I'm using an endless loop to perform to mimic a cron. The script does something every 20 minutes. It sleep()s in the meantime. I have various checks that ensure that only instance can run, including a "gentleman agreement" locked file. However, I'd like to make sure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjshell
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preventing an endless loop with recursive grep

When finding a string in files within a directory, one can use this: grep -r "searchstring" dir/subdir/ > listofoccurrences.txt For brevity sake one can enter the intended directory and use this: grep -r "searchstring" . > listofoccurrences.txt which as I found out leads to an endless loop,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

4. SCO

-sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5

Dear experts, I have done a re-installation of sco unix openserver 5.0.5 and managed to create users. The problem am facing is that of one user logging in more than 5 times. How can i overcome this problem. the system give the error below. -sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoroge
5 Replies

5. Programming

Fork thread, Assertion failed. X11.

Hi all. I wrote a program with the Motif Widget Toolkit. It has a button and a scrollbar. When the user hits the button the callback creates a new fork() thread. The new thread sleeps for a while and then changes the position of the scrollbar. It does this in an endless loop. I need the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Issue with endless loop.

First time post. I did a search so I didn’t see this specific issue. It seems to be a head scratcher for me. I have an hourly job that on rare occasions, gets into an endless loop. I’ve tried different scenarios but the current version does basically the following. Find all the *.arc files and... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sylvan303
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Endless while loop when compare files

Hi All, I've written a script to read 2 files and compare the contents using while loop but somehow when $line is not found in test2, the script will continue looping. Below is my code, pls advise what could went wrong TIA Nick for line in test1.txt | while read line do grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1971
4 Replies

8. AIX

Fork Function Failed on 4GB ?

Hello, I am running Oracle Database and after a while I keep getting this message whenever I execute any command. I cannot execute any command even shutdown, whenever I execute any command , I get this message /usr/bin/ksh: 0403-031 The fork function failed. There is not enough memory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs in endless loop

Hi, AM very new to shell scripting and try to run a simple do while loop statement, but it ends up running endlessly. please can anyone assist, dunno what am doing wrong, any useful suggestions will be welcomed. #!/bin/ksh ### To check a running process instance #################... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bayoo
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with accidental endless loop

I was practicing writing simple loops as I am a new bash user and I created this script, which turned out to be an endless loop where the echo output does not stop and I do not see where my mistake is. #!/bin/bash echo 'enter a number from 1 to 100' read number while do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldenlinx
2 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)