Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bandwidth check?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers bandwidth check? Post 14280 by PxT on Tuesday 29th of January 2002 11:40:15 PM
Old 01-30-2002
A quick and dirty way is to use "wget" or another file transfer program like ftp to download a large file (at least several megabytes) from a remote server. Check out the bytes/sec reported. Try it at various times throughout the day to get an average. Alternately, you could use something like <A HREF="http://freshmeat.net/projects/bing/">Bing</A>. Search www.freshmeat.net for other possibilities.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Bandwidth Caping With PF

i have two questions actually... i need to block certain ports with openbsd and PF in a large lan, the firewall is supposed to be a router between the internet and the first lan switch. first of all, would this work at all in theory? second, i tried doing this a few days ago at a huge lan but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocturnal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Bandwidth Monitoring

What are my options for monitoring bandwidth on a per user basis? Ideally, I'd like something thats easy to configure (like a webmin module pleeeease?), and that could monitor ALL bandwidth. Not just web bandwidth but also ftp/afp uploading and downloading, and email traffic. I know this is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l008com
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Bandwidth Regulation

Hello, I was wondering how one would go about regulating bandwidth of a server running RH Linux 8.0 and Apache. I am running a webserver, and want only one person to be able to download one file at a time. So, they can't click about 10 files and soak up lots of bandwidth. Plus, I would like to cap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bandwidth Monitoring.

Hi, I'm looking for some way to bring up in a shell window a realtime (or something that updates at 10 second intervals or whatever) bandwidth monitor. I just want something that shows me how much kbps is going in and how much is going out of each interface. Is there something that might... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bandwidth monitoring

Hi Gurus, Need to have a way to monitor Bandwidth utilization on Linux servers, running squid . Have worked on 3rd party monitoring tools like Bandwidth d, Nagios etc. But we are working to find out a way to monitor this through Sitescope, for which we need to find a file where the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_murli
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

bandwidth

Hi, 1-What is bandewidth ? 2-How to calculate ? 3-How to measure ? Any free software to measure it ? Many thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

Bandwidth montor

Hi all I have been running iptraf on a linux box for a few months monitoring bandwidth utilization realtime from mac address with port mirroring. Now I want to graph these bandwidth utilization. Is MRTG the right software? Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palm101
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

New network bandwidth requirements

Many papers, articles and posts about network bandwidth requirements refer to network traffic rules-of-thumb when estimating bandwidth requirements for a new network with an unknown load. I've seen a couple rules for video and VoIP. I'd be thankful if someone could share any rules-of thumb they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redrider
5 Replies

9. Hardware

Help with bandwidth Limit for netgear

Hello All , Hope you are doing good. I have a netgear router + modem in my home . My roommate brought his friend as a guest , he is downloading stuff like crazy day and night , while talking with my friend in India got to know there is concept called BANDWIDTH LIMIT wherein i can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radha254
4 Replies
LWP-DOWNLOAD(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)

NAME
lwp-download - Fetch large files from the web SYNOPSIS
lwp-download [-a] [-s] <url> [<local path>] DESCRIPTION
The lwp-download program will save the file at url to a local file. If local path is not specified, then the current directory is assumed. If local path is a directory, then the last segment of the path of the url is appended to form a local filename. If the url path ends with slash the name "index" is used. With the -s option pick up the last segment of the filename from server provided sources like the Content- Disposition header or any redirect URLs. A file extension to match the server reported Content-Type might also be appended. If a file with the produced filename already exists, then lwp-download will prompt before it overwrites and will fail if its standard input is not a terminal. This form of invocation will also fail is no acceptable filename can be derived from the sources mentioned above. If local path is not a directory, then it is simply used as the path to save into. If the file already exists it's overwritten. The lwp-download program is implemented using the libwww-perl library. It is better suited to down load big files than the lwp-request program because it does not store the file in memory. Another benefit is that it will keep you updated about its progress and that you don't have much options to worry about. Use the "-a" option to save the file in text (ascii) mode. Might make a difference on dosish systems. EXAMPLE
Fetch the newest and greatest perl version: $ lwp-download http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/latest.tar.gz Saving to 'latest.tar.gz'... 11.4 MB received in 8 seconds (1.43 MB/sec) AUTHOR
Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.16.3 2012-01-14 LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)