Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: return code from oracle
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting return code from oracle Post 14250 by edog on Tuesday 29th of January 2002 02:38:28 PM
Old 01-29-2002
or this seemed to work for me, take the spaces out before < EOSQL

#!/usr/bin/ksh

sqlplus -s username/pass < < EOSQL
select count(*) into :ret_val from ofcr_codes;
exit :ret_val
EOSQL
retcode=$?
echo "retcode is ${retcode}"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get Oracle fuction return value in a variable

Hi All, :confused: I have the following code. var=' ' sqlplus user/pass@DB <<EOF whenever sqlerror exit 1 select package.func() into $var from dual; EOF echo $var But, this code does not work to display the value returned by the oracle function. Do we have to bind variables before... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store return code of shell script in oracle table

Hi friends, I have to do the following things : 1) there should be a shell script returning the returning the return code of the script. and i have to add some more details like on which machine is has run , at what time and other details and then using plsql i have to add a row to Oracle... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Oracle return code in shell script

I am using the following code in my shell script list=`sqlplus -s $user/$pwd@$dbms<<EOF WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT SQL.SQLCODE set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select * from control_tbl where src_nm=$3 and extrct_nm=$4; exit SQL.SQLCODE; EOF` ERROR=$?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ORACLE return a function to Solaris

Guys, I´m have this problem and I do not know what to do anymore: cod=`sqlplus -s ${DATABASE} << EOF set heading off feedback off verify off select max(eventid) from events; exit EOF` sed "s/CODEVENTID/${cod}/" c.ctl Abova What I´ve done. The CODEEVENTID is already set into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rafael.Buria
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return value from oracle to unix shell

Hi , i have written a shell scipt to call a procedure and get the value back from procedure.But i am facing the issue like #!/bin/sh returnedvalue=`sqlplus -s userid/pass<<EOF set serveroutput on; exec pass($1) set serveroutput off; EXIT; EOF` flag=`echo $returnedvalue ` echo "$flag"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi214u
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Oracle return codes?

Having searched high and low through Oracles documentation, I came to think that they're very scripting-averse, as there's (apparently) no list of possible return/exit codes for their various command line utilities. Is anyone here in possession of such a list, or knows where to find one? It... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
16 Replies

8. HP-UX

return code from oracle to unix script

Hi I'm writing a shell script that connects to oracle database and fires query to check the availability of data in a table. In case of no data found then what will be the return code and how to handle in that in variable. Kindly provide with an example for better understanding... Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksailesh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting return value from oracle function

So, in Oracle (11gR2) on aix I have a function like: CREATE OR REPLACE function COMMON.t2(var1 in varchar2, vari in number,var2 in out number) return number as begin insert into korisnik_temp(kor_inicia, kor_opisno) values(1, var1); var2:=0; return var2; exception when... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bongo
12 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)