Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers format and pkginfo -l question Post 1425 by Neo on Tuesday 6th of March 2001 01:13:09 AM
Old 03-06-2001
If you get a new disk with similar geometry, then the next time the system goes down, install the disk. Then, when you have time, do a dd (disk to disk) copy and competely mirror the root disk unto the new disk. (or do this just before a reboot). Afterwards, swap the new disk (freshly made with dd), with the original root disk. If you do this at 'targets of opportunities' when either down or rebooting, then the transition to an error-free disk can be made without being too intrusive.

I'm sorry I'm not much more help on the disk error. They make me nervous and I see them as a warning sign for future failures. My apologies for disk-paranoia Smilie About the error in your pkgtool distro, you might try just copying the entire directory with cp -rP (or something like that) and then move the old directory to an archive; then move the tree made with cp -rP (or whatever works for your system) back. You might get lucky and the disk error will remain in the archive tree and the new tree will be error free. This is a shot in the dark, but sometimes these wild-arse-guesses get lucky and solve obscure problems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format question

I'm trying to format a hard drive. It asks me for the disk type, which is not there for my drive. So I choose other and it says "Enter number of data cylinders". Where do I get this information from? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format question

I have a string that looks like this: 2008 04 09 18 45 30 0 I would like to convert it to a date format like this: Wed Apr 09 18:45:30.000 GMT 2008 I have been searching all over and can't find anything to help me. I am using ksh on a sun solaris unix machine. Thank you. Allyson (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
2 Replies

3. Solaris

difference between pkginfo and pkgchk command

can anyone explain me the difference between pkginfo and pkgchk command in solaris. Both are used to display the package details, then what is the difference between both. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk Format Question

Wondering if anyone could tell about how long it will take to perform 3 passes on a 72 GB disk? I have a Sun V240 and will have to format all 4. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckhtr77
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rpm and pkginfo question

Can the root hide some of the results of the above commands from a regular user? i.e. $>rpm and $>sudo rpm will give different results (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noam128
1 Replies

6. Solaris

grep help with pkginfo

im looking for a way to eliminate the packages from SUN when i do a pkginfo. thought this would work, but no luck. pkginfo | grep what am i doing wrong? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrich523
2 Replies

7. AIX

BMC package and ingeneral all packages in AIX (Similar to pkginfo in Linux)

Hi , I want to know is there any command in AIX similar to pkginfo ? that shows details of all packages installed and we can grep whatever we need to check? Thanks Rafi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafi49
2 Replies

8. Solaris

pkgadd, pkginfo, ssh not working

Got a feeling someone has been fiddling around or something has got corrupt but I'm getting the following errors now:- -bash-3.00# pkginfo ld.so.1: pkginfo: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.7: open failed: No such file or directory Killed -bash-3.00# and also ssh:- -bash-3.00# ssh ld.so.1: ssh:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Host name in front of pkginfo output

hello all I am trying to create a comma seperated file of the pkginfo command. The follwoing works pretty well. pkginfo -l | egrep '(BASEDIR|NAME|VERSION)' | awk '{print}' ORS=', ' however, there are two issues. 1, For some reason it does not load into excel properly. It loads as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: busi386
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Format Question

Hello friends i have a file that outputs like this: lineA lineB lineC I would like it to format it like this as output: 'lineA','lineB','lineC' Can you help? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies
vxreattach(1M)															    vxreattach(1M)

NAME
vxreattach - reattach disk drives that have once again become accessible SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxreattach [-br ] [accessname...] /etc/vx/bin/vxreattach -c accessname DESCRIPTION
The vxreattach utility reattaches disks to the disk group they were in and retains the same media name. This operation may be necessary if a disk has a transient failure, or if Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) starts with some disk drivers unloaded and unloadable. Disks then enter the failed state. If the problem is fixed, vxreattach may be able to reattach the disks without plexes being flagged as stale, as long as the reattach happens before any volumes on the disk are started. vxreattach tries to find a disk in the same disk group with the same disk ID for the disk(s) to be reattached. The reattach operation may fail even after finding the disk with the matching disk ID if the original cause (or some other cause) for the disk failure still exists. vxreattach is usually invoked by vxdiskadm when performing disk recovery. It is not intended to be run directly by an administrator. OPTIONS
-b Performs the reattach operation in the background. -c Checks if a reattach is possible. No operation is performed, but the name of the disk group and disk media name at which the disk can be reattached is displayed. -r Tries to recover stale plexes of any volumes on the failed disk. It does this by calling vxrecover. EXIT CODES
A zero exit status is returned if the reattach is performed; non-zero is returned otherwise. See vxintro(1M) for a list of standard exit codes. EXAMPLES
Check if reattachment of disk c1t2d0 is possible: /etc/vx/bin/vxreattach -c c1t2d0 If reattachment is possible, vxreattach returns with an exit status of 0 and displays the disk group name and disk media name. If reat- tachment is not possible, vxreattach returns an exit status of 2 and displays an error. Attempt to reattach the disk in the foreground and try to recover stale plexes of any volumes on the disk: /etc/vx/bin/vxreattach -r c1t2d0 If the reattachment is successful, vxreattach returns an exit status of 0. Otherwise, if an error occurs, vxreattach returns a non-zero exit code as defined on vxintro(1M). FILES
/etc/default/vxplex Standard defaults file that can be used to determine whether FastResync is used when attaching plexes. See vxplex(1M) for details. SEE ALSO
vxdiskadm(1M), vxintro(1M), vxplex(1M), vxrecover(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxreattach(1M)