Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Maximum file name length
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Maximum file name length Post 14219 by thehoghunter on Tuesday 29th of January 2002 11:43:04 AM
Old 01-29-2002
Believe it to be 132 characters which is limited by how much the buffer can except versus how long a filename can be.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length for Korn shell

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unixfor Korn shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the maximum length of th os-command line in Unix.

Hi All, I didn't find any thread that match this question so I hope it's not redundant. I am totally new to Unix. I want to know what is the maximum length of the os-commandline in Unix. Will it cause any problem if I run any application whose total path length is much longer than 256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumardesai
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum length of a path given as an argument to a shell script

hi, I am using solaris10. I have to write a bourne shell script, which copies files for the said destination path which is passed as an argument to the script. it looks like this myscript.sh /var/test -->destination path now i would like to know what is the maximum length i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql variable:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to increase the maximum record length

Hi, I need to create a file of record length more than 300 characters. But in my unix box, i am able to create a file only with a maximum of 256 characters per record. Is there anyway i can create a file with more than 300 characters in this case? Or How to increase the maximum record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahish20
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command length in bourne shell

Hi, I wanted to know what is the maximum length of command which can be run on a bourne (sh) shell? Where can I find that information? Is it different for different OS flavors? Please help. Thanks, Vineet (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command?

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command? How can I detect that in my OS? For example, if I have something like: command A | command B | command C | awk '{print $1 $2 $3 $4 $5}' then can we break the commands and also the arguments inside awk ? Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
11 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum length of a line

How can I change the maximum length of a programming line in fortran and C (specifically in fortran 77)? Seems the default maximum length is 72 in fortran 77. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum length of a string

good friends days I would love to know if I can help you know the length of a string example: cadena= "cual es mi largo" echo "cadena : $cadena# cadena :16 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
7 Replies
dir_ufs(4)							   File Formats 							dir_ufs(4)

NAME
dir_ufs, dir - format of ufs directories SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/fs/ufs_fsdir.h> DESCRIPTION
A directory consists of some number of blocks of DIRBLKSIZ bytes, where DIRBLKSIZ is chosen such that it can be transferred to disk in a single atomic operation, for example, 512 bytes on most machines. Each DIRBLKSIZ-byte block contains some number of directory entry structures, which are of variable length. Each directory entry has a struct direct at the front of it, containing its inode number, the length of the entry, and the length of the name contained in the entry. These entries are followed by the name padded to a 4 byte boundary with null bytes. All names are guaranteed null-terminated. The maximum length of a name in a directory is MAXNAMLEN. #define DIRBLKSIZ DEV_BSIZE #define MAXNAMLEN 256 struct direct { ulong_t d_ino; /* inode number of entry */ ushort_t d_reclen; /* length of this record */ ushort_t d_namlen; /* length of string in d_name */ char d_name[MAXNAMLEN + 1]; /* maximum name length */ }; ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), ufs(7FS) SunOS 5.10 16 Apr 2003 dir_ufs(4)