Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command xntpd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command xntpd Post 1386 by Neo on Thursday 1st of March 2001 10:19:12 AM
Old 03-01-2001
Yes, you can synchronize a Windows server with a UNIX client. We do it. There are many utilities to do this.

The differences in timezones are corrected by insuring the timezones are set on your clients/servers, NTP does the rest for you.

When you uncomment xntpd, you need to restart inetd. Normally a kill -1 signal to the inetd process will work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xntpd on NCR unix

Hi, I'm having these errors when using xntpd on ncr unix. synchronisation lost Feb 25 09:10:14 in.xntpd: Previous time adjustment didn't complete Can anyone help me on this. Is it an issue with the time delay as the reference time servers are on different sites and the ping response is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bert.n
0 Replies

2. AIX

xntpd startup...Is it safe?

Hi, Have never run xntpd before. I have my ntp.conf file configured with server, trace file and drift file. I commented out the "broadcastclient" entry since I only want to get the time from a single source. Port 123 is in the /etc/services file for tcp and udp. Port 123 has been enabled in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DenD
0 Replies

3. Solaris

xntpd[28781]: too many recvbufs allocated

Hi, I have a server that is getting the following alarm a couple times a day: Mar 25 10:56:54 hostname xntpd: too many recvbufs allocated (30) Mar 25 10:56:54 hostname xntpd: too many recvbufs allocated (30) I know this is some sort of NTP related issue but I need to gauge the severity of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrewDudeBob
0 Replies

4. AIX

xntpd process inoperative

Hi All, After restarting the xntpd process for some reasons when i checked the status its showing inoprative eventhough xntpd process is running when i ps on it. $ lssrc -s xntpd Subsystem Group PID Status xntpd tcpip ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ram1729
1 Replies

5. AIX

Difference between timed and xntpd ?

Hi, Looks like these perform similar function. What is the difference ? thanks Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 (05/09) xNTPD Startup Failure - How to Fix

Dear All, I installed the Solaris 2.10 (05/09) download on a Sparc platform, and wanted to configure the network time protocol daemon (xNTPD) to work as an NTP client. Of course there are many web sites that trumpet the advise to simply copy the ntp.client file to the ntp.conf file, and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iic1tls
2 Replies

7. AIX

xntpd starts after reboot only when HACMP services are started ?

Hello, Running AIX 6.1, AIX machine is HACMP node. Recently I set up ntp service. Started xntpd by hand - everythig is OK. Configured xntpd to start after reboot and rebooted the machine. After reboot checked xntpd: # lssrc -a|grep ntp xntpd tcpip ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
5 Replies

8. AIX

xntpd won't stay up...

AIX 5.3-5300.09.06.1013 (AIX 5.3 TL9 SP6) # startsrc -s xntpd -a "-x" (with -x at the end of the xntpd line in /etc/rc.tcpip, too.) will run for 5-15 minutes, and then die. # errpt -a with a search on xntpd gives me this: ------------------------------------------------ LABEL: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dafydd2277
7 Replies

9. Solaris

xntpd with slewing option

Hi, Does anyone know how to make sure that the slewing option in solaris 10 is on. From the man page I believe I had to add "slewalways yes" to the ntp.conf file and restart the service, but I don't know if its has gone into effect or not. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xntpd with two servers

Hi, I want to setup xntpd with two sources ntp servers. I added to /etc/ntp.conf: server IP1 server IP2 but, when the server lost the connection with the first, it doesn't connect the second. #/home/s03isga0 # ntpq -p remote refid st t when poll reach delay ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies
ntp.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						       ntp.conf(5)

Name
       ntp.conf - Network Time Protocol configuration file

Description
       The  file  is the configuration file for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon, This file must be configured on your system before running
       Any host names that you specify in the file must have an entry in the file, or an entry in the master database, if the  database  is  being
       served to your system by BIND/Hesiod or Yellow Pages.

The file has four entry formats:

trusting no
	    This entry guarantees that your system synchronizes only to the NTP servers identified in the peer and server entries specified.  Dig-
	    ital recommends that all systems include the entry.

peer server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	 Your  system  may  also  provide time synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP servers should be configured with entries.

server server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	Your  system  can  not	provide  time  synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP clients should be configured with entries.

peer   /dev/null       LOCL    1       -5      local
	    This entry identifies your system as a local reference clock.  A local reference clock is the most accurate system clock available	at
	    your  site.   If you receive time synchronization from the Internet NTP service, you should not include this entry on any of your sys-
	    tems.  At most, one system in a set of nodes running should be identified as a local reference clock.

A host which specifies this entry should not specify any or entries.

Examples
       This is a sample configuration file for an NTP client which receives time synchronization from the NTP servers: and Lines beginning with  a
       number sign (#) are comments.
       #
       #	       NTP  Configuration File
       #	This file is mandatory for the ntpd daemon
       #
       #
       #
       #   **  A L L  **
       #
       #  "trusting no" prevents this host from synchronizing
       #   to any host that is not listed below.  It is recommended
       #   that all hosts include the line "trusting no".
       #
       trusting no
       #
       #
       #    **	S E R V E R  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a server, use "peer" entries to
       #  synchronize to other NTP servers.  For example, server1,
       #  server2, and server3.
       #
       #peer	      server1
       #peer	      server2
       #peer	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	C L I E N T  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a client, use "server" entries to
       #  synchronize to NTP servers.  For example, server1, server2,
       #  and server3.
       #
       server	      server1
       server	      server2
       server	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	L O C A L   R E F E R E N C E	C L O C K  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a local reference clock, include the
       #  following entry and the "trusting no" entry ONLY.
       #
       #peer	 /dev/null LOCL 1    -5   local
       #

See Also
       ntp(1), ntpd(8), ntpdc(8)
       RFC 1129--Internet time synchronization:  The Network Time Protocol
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

ntp.conf(5)