Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CDE
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers CDE Post 1385 by Neo on Thursday 1st of March 2001 10:11:21 AM
Old 03-01-2001
There may be some environmental variables that must set before CDE will start properly. Do you know what environmental variables CDE requires (LANG, DISPLAY, etc.)

For many X applications, the DISPLAY environmental must be set (and set correctly) for X to work. A quick example of the use of DISPLAY:

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

(as I recalloff the top of my head, please check the syntax).

Also, the host which is receiving the X application must have provided permission for the X application to run on the host (normally with the <B>xhost</B> command

[Edited by Neo on 03-01-2001 at 10:13 AM]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cde

Hi, I'am new to SCO unix and their CDE desktop interface. Yesterdag i installed a unixware 7.11 system, but when I log in as a normal user and click on any icon in CDE i keep getting the same erro, talkback connection failed... what does this means??? I cant even shutdown the machine from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zzero
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cde

Is there such a thing as installing a CDE for use with UNIX? If so, where would I find one, and how would I do it? What kind of info about UNIX would I need to know before going into this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muscleache
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cde

Hi There, easy one for you. I am using Solaris 7 on my desktop at home and I don't want to invoke the CDE environment when I boot up. I want it to just boot up to the command line to save on memory. What do I have to do in order to do this? Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
2 Replies

4. AIX

CDE menu

Hi all, is any one knows how can i change menus on my front panel (I need to load the default)? for example : when im entering in a session I've got a application menu ( /etc/dt/appconfig/types/en_US) and i need the default one ( /usr/dt/appconfig/types/C) to be load. I've sold that problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabim
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Turning off the CDE

I am running Solaris 9 and wanted the CDE stopped when my users login. Can this be done by adding something to the .profile? Basically when they login they should be at the command line and have to start the CDE themselves. Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
11 Replies

6. AIX

CDE Env.

Hi I installed aix 5.2-09 on js21 but am unable to get cde environment through X manager soft. when i run ./rc.dt am able to get the same but this remains till next reboot. What should i do can anybody help me???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

Hp-UX 11.23 - CDE not starting

Hi. I installed HP UX few weeks ago. It had some problems with DNS resolving, but I have solved it. Before the last shutdown all was fine. Now CDE is not starting anymore (no desktop logon - only console logon). Also mail deamon starts for about 5 minutes, so I removed it from rc2.d. CDE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netwalker
4 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

xfce like cde

At the moment I am using Ubuntu hardy on my desktop. I am going to be adding other Linux's and maybe FreeBSD. I use gnome for special effects, eye candy, and plain old show off stuff. But I want to have a simple DE in my computer installed. I like the way CDE looks and the reviews about its... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
7 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to migrate Solaris 10 CDE config to HP-UX CDE.

Hello, Do you guys by any chance know what is the best (if any ) way to move CDE configuration from a SOLARIS 10 machine to HP-UX? Just the config (actions, text files etc). Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary0x01
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Connect to SunOS CDE from another CDE

I have two CDE desktop accounts on different server (called this CDE#1, CDE#2) on the same network. However, my current setup is connecting to the Solaris CDE#1,CDE#2 via Citrix. My plan is to connect to CD#1 and then somehow connect to CDE#2. How do I do this? I am just a regular user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tthach830
0 Replies
XON(1)							      General Commands Manual							    XON(1)

NAME
xon - start an X program on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
xon remote-host [-access] [-debug] [-name window-name] [-nols] [-screen screen-no] [-user user-name] [command ...] DESCRIPTION
Xon runs the specified command (default xterm -ls) on the remote machine using rsh, remsh, or rcmd. Xon passes the DISPLAY, XAUTHORITY and XUSERFILESEARCHPATH environment variables to the remote command. When no command is specified, xon runs 'xterm -ls'. It additionally specifies the application name to be 'xterm-remote-host' and the win- dow title to be '-fIremote-host'. Xon can only work when the remote host will allow you to log in without a password, by having an entry in the .rhosts file permitting access. OPTIONS
Note that the options follow the remote host name (as they do with rlogin). -access Runs xhost locally to add the remote host to the host access list in the X server. This won't work unless xhost is given permission to modify the access list. -debug Normally, xon disconnects the remote process from stdin, stdout and stderr to eliminate the daemon processes which usually connect them across the network. Specifying the -debug option leaves them connected so that error messages from the remote execution are sent back to the originating host. -name window-name This specifies a different application name and window title for the default command (xterm). -nols Normally xon passes the -ls option to the remote xterm; this option suspends that behaviour. -screen screen-no This changes the screen number of the DISPLAY variable passed to the remote command. -user user-name By default, xon simply uses rsh/remsh/rcmd to connect to the remote machine using the same user name as on the local machine. This option cause xon to specify an alternative user name. This will not work unless you have authorization to access the remote account, by placing an appropriate entry in the remote users .rhosts file. BUGS
Xon can get easily confused when the remote-host, user-name or various environment variable values contain white space. Xon has no way to send the appropriate X authorization information to the remote host. XFree86 Version 4.7.0 XON(1)