Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ulimit problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ulimit problem Post 13576 by roydv on Saturday 19th of January 2002 02:50:22 AM
Old 01-19-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Perderabo
If it's not working, you obviously need to try something. As for changing your shell, you need to figure out which shell you are using and what shells are available on your system. Then, let's say you are using "csh" and you found that you have ksh available. From your csh prompt, you can type:
ksh
and now you are running ksh. If you are unable to determine what shells are on your system, you will have to wait for a unixware expert to show up. I don't have a unixware system.
We are on a project in Tanzania, and the only resident Unix expert is on honeymoon, and will only return at the end of the month.

We have been thrown in at the deep end here, and are completely new to the Unix envionment, so the concept of command shells is new.

We have managed to establish that there are system limits that determine the maximum file size limits that can be set using ulimit. We need to invoke the commands that change these limits from the 32bit limits to the 64 bit limits that the operating system allows. We suspect that the solution lies in somewhere in setrlimit64 function, but we have no idea how to operate the function. If we could get an example, we would probably find our solution.

Thanks with the help to date

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ulimit problem(Urgent)

Hi all, In Tru64 UNIX,there is a command ulimit which sets or reports a resource limit. -d option specifies number of Kilobytes for data area. But when i give same man ulimit in HP-UX, it does shows some ulimit function. I want to replace ulimit -d command in .profile file which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: informshilpa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit -d

All I am trying to do ulimit -d unlimited and I get "sh: ulimit: The specified value exceeds the user's allowable limit." Can someone please help me understand, how to change this! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adadevil
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ulimit setting problem on Solaris

How do you make the ulimit values permanent for a user? by default, the root login has the following ulimits: # ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) unlimited stack(kbytes) 8192 coredump(blocks) unlimited nofiles(descriptors) 1024 memory(kbytes)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiem
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit

Hi, system aix 4.3 when I execute umilit i get result "unlimited". why cant i ftp or extract from media filesize over 2gig.... e.g FS /test/testy is large file enabled. any help will be greatly appreciated. thnx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
3 Replies

5. Programming

ulimit problem

I would like to know where is the ulimit value stored in the shell. And how to get or modify it using the C program. I run the command ulimit it shows me unlimited and quits. Where that value is stored. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobile01
1 Replies

6. SCO

problem with ulimit

hi, i cant set ULIMIT for normal user (file size more than 2gb).but in root user it is working fine.in user it is giving error like "limit exceeded (priviledged user)". (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakrithi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting Ulimit problem

I changed the standard Ulimit sometime back. But when I change it back, the setting does not get updated. How do I make the change permanent Waitstejo (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Waitstejo
7 Replies

8. Solaris

ulimit

how do i check the ulimit set on my server.. ca i know whats the command ?? thanks in advance .. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

ulimit Command Problem???

Hi, I have changed the ulimit for the user dsadm on one of my server. Its only changed IF i su to dsadm from root, but its not changing if i ssh to dsadm. i want to change the data(kbytes)to unlimited. i edit the /etc/profile and .profile of dsadm user by set this my OS 11.31 ulimit -d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mousa55
1 Replies

10. Solaris

ulimit

Hello, could you help me please? I write in command line: "ulimit 500" -> i've set the max size of 512-bytes blocks that i can write in one file. But when after it i use ulimit.3c in my program: "ulimit(UL_GETFSIZE);" the result turns out 1000. Why is it so? They always differ so that one is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zhenya_
2 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)