Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: need help with FreeBSD!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers need help with FreeBSD!!! Post 1357 by PxT on Wednesday 28th of February 2001 09:38:19 AM
Old 02-28-2001
From the creat(2) man page:
Quote:
CREAT(2) FreeBSD System Calls Manual CREAT(2)

NAME
creat - create a new file

LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc)

SYNOPSIS
#include <fcntl.h>

int
creat(const char *path, mode_t mode)

DESCRIPTION
This interface is made obsolete by: open(2).

Creat() is the same as:

open(path, O_CREAT | O_TRUNC | O_WRONLY, mode);

SEE ALSO
open(2)

HISTORY
The creat() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX.

4th Berkeley Distribution June 2, 1993 1
So, it looks like you should be using open() instead.
Also, the #define you are trying to use is S_IWRITE, not _S_IWRITE. It is in sys/stat.h

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

I am on AOL now,and i am using 56 k,i was gonna install FreeBSD,but i dont know if aol works on BSD,or my modem. Do they work on BSD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kita
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd 4.5

i am new at unix and am VERY confused about the compression processes. what progs do i need to unzip and zip files? there must be a standard one similar to winzip? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mindscan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

What is FreeBSD, who does use Free? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberangel
3 Replies

4. BSD

FreeBSD 5.2.1

I want someone tell me the positives and negatives points of FreeBSD 5.2.1, if someone help me, i thanks a lot! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
4 Replies

5. BSD

I want the Best FREEBSD

B]I want the best of the best FreeBSD version for my study in Unix...please sugest me... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
5 Replies

6. BSD

Having problem with FreeBSD 5.3

I just download the FreeBSD 5.3 i386 iso files. And I have a problem now, I can't copy the 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso to the cd, I try a lot of times, even change lots of blank cd to try but still cannot. But I can copy the other three iso files, i.e. 5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarbageKing
4 Replies

7. BSD

please help me in FreeBSD

Hi to all, Iam doing a project in Free BSD and i am stuck with a puzzle. Please any one of you clarify my doubt : How to add a mechanism to check the status of the file system which alerts the root user via. email if any single partition is greater than 90% full. This alert should include the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadakamalla
3 Replies

8. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

9. Fedora

FreeBSD

I'm using Windows mostly and the only *nix thing I used during my life was cygwin (I like command line :)). But currently I have (by an occasion) a DVD with latest FreeBSD. I don't know why, but I want to install it... But probably, this OS is too difficult for a beginner. I heard, it's used on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeenageWerewolf
3 Replies
UUENCODE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       UUENCODE(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode, b64encode, b64decode -- encode/decode a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [-o output_file] [file] name uudecode [-cimprs] [file ...] uudecode [-i] -o output_file b64encode [-o output_file] [file] name b64decode [-cimprs] [file ...] b64decode [-i] -o output_file [file] DESCRIPTION
The uuencode and uudecode utilities are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. The b64encode utility is synonymous with uuencode with the -m flag specified. The b64decode utility is synonymous with uudecode with the -m flag specified. The uuencode utility reads file (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output, or output_file if one has been specified. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand name for use by uudecode. The uudecode utility transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named either name or (depending on options passed to uudecode) output_file and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and exe- cute bits are not retained. The uudecode utility ignores any leading and trailing lines. The following options are available for uuencode: -m Use the Base64 method of encoding, rather than the traditional uuencode algorithm. -o output_file Output to output_file instead of standard output. The following options are available for uudecode: -c Decode more than one uuencoded file from file if possible. -i Do not overwrite files. -m When used with the -r flag, decode Base64 input instead of traditional uuencode input. Without -r it has no effect. -o output_file Output to output_file instead of any pathname contained in the input data. -p Decode file and write output to standard output. -r Decode raw (or broken) input, which is missing the initial and possibly the final framing lines. The input is assumed to be in the traditional uuencode encoding, but if the -m flag is used, or if the utility is invoked as b64decode, then the input is assumed to be in Base64 format. -s Do not strip output pathname to base filename. By default uudecode deletes any prefix ending with the last slash '/' for security reasons. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. When uudecode is run on the target system, the file ``src_tree.tar.Z'' will be created which may then be uncompressed and extracted into the original tree. tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail user@example.com The following example unpacks all uuencoded files from your mailbox into your current working directory. uudecode -c < $MAIL The following example extracts a compressed tar archive from your mailbox uudecode -o /dev/stdout < $MAIL | zcat | tar xfv - SEE ALSO
basename(1), compress(1), mail(1), uucp(1) (ports/net/freebsd-uucp), uuencode(5) HISTORY
The uudecode and uuencode utilities appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
Files encoded using the traditional algorithm are expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). BSD
January 27, 2002 BSD