Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 3d graphics apps for unix/solaris Post 1347 by eqpfunk on Tuesday 27th of February 2001 08:36:59 PM
Old 02-27-2001
Question

Hi, I noticed that SUN is selling the Blade 100 workstation for < 1000. I am considering buying one with a high end graphics card for 3D animation/graphics (and also some java development). I am wondering if any relatively inexpensive graphics applications exist for Unix/Solaris machines. Anybody know? Thanks! - E

PS - would a viewsonic 19 inch monitor work with this machine or would I have to purchase an expensive Sun monitor? Thanks again.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you use linux apps on unix

I know its a stupid question... but i cant find anyone that will host on linux for the prices i want. I want to host a game server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sLaeYa^^
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Solaris Sparc Apps on X86 Solaris

I know that Sun make s a version of Solaris for Sparc platforms and also an x86 (Intel/AMD) release of Solaris. Can an application that runs on Solaris/Sparc also run on a PC running the x86 release of Solaris? Would a different release be required or any re-compling of the application? jim (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stocksj
1 Replies

3. Solaris

locating additiona apps/sw on Solaris 9

I was asked to find all of the applications/software/utility programs on a couple of the servers we have here. That does not appear to be a problem as we know most of these stuff are probably put in the /opt or the /usr directory. Is this the only location where these software are put? Is there a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
3 Replies

4. Solaris

draw graphics to stdout in solaris

Hi all.. I am trying to draw a line on the monitor on sun platform machine. I tried a simple program. #include<stdio.h> #include<plot.h> int main() { openpl(); linemod("dotted"); line(1000,1000,2000,2000); closepl(); return 0; } It doesn't produce the desired result. If one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Graphics problem in solaris 10

Hi, I have installed solaris 10/09 release in dell gx 520 desktop, it doesn't support graphics, i installed through text mode, can anyone tell how to get graphics on dell gx520 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] links2 --enable-graphics from source, configure error: no graphics driver found.

Howdy I am trying to install links2 with graphics support on snow leopard 10.6.8 (xcode installed). I have had the program running last year, also installed from source - but then I had installed some image libraries with mac ports and fink - cannot reproduce that setup. Plus I would like to not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterbaerchen
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris latest CPU patch graphics/gui issue

We just installed the latest Oracle Solaris 10 Sparc 64-Bit CPU patch (10/2012) and we are no longer able to access the GUI or the console after the OBP. We believe that this is a graphics issue. It has affected out t2000 xvr-200 graphics server and also out v440 xvr-100 graphics server. We are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: topper24501
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

UNIX apps on CYGWIN

Hi all, am new to the forum. i would like to check with the community whether anyone had tried to run self-developed UNIX apps on the CYGWIN? Does the CYGWIN presents a friendly environment to host the UNIX apps? thanks :) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: lchunleo
14 Replies
DISPLAYS(5)							File Formats Manual						       DISPLAYS(5)

NAME
displays - Display Configuration File DESCRIPTION
The interactive graphics programs Caesar, Magic, and Gremlin use two separate terminals: a text terminal from which commands are issued, and a color graphics terminal on which graphical output is displayed. These programs use a displays file to associate their text terminal with its corresponding display device. The displays file is an ASCII text file with one line for each text terminal/graphics terminal pair. Each line contains 4 items separated by spaces: the name of the port attached to a text terminal, the name of the port attached to the associated graphics terminal, the phos- phor type of the graphics terminal's monitor, and the type of graphics terminal. An applications program may use the phosphor type to select a color map tuned to the monitor's characteristics. Only the std phosphor type is supported at UC Berkeley. The graphics terminal type specifies the device driver a program should use when communicating with its graphics terminal. Magic supports types UCB512, AED1024, and SUN120. Other programs may recognize different display types. See the manual entry for your specific applica- tion for more information. A sample displays file is: /dev/ttyi1 /dev/ttyi0 std UCB512 /dev/ttyj0 /dev/ttyj1 std UCB512 /dev/ttyjf /dev/ttyhf std UCB512 /dev/ttyhb /dev/ttyhc std UCB512 /dev/ttyhc /dev/ttyhb std UCB512 (R) In this example, /dev/ttyi1 connects to a text terminal. An associated UCB512 graphics terminal with standard phosphor is connected to /dev/ttyi0. FILES
Magic uses the displays file ~cad/lib/displays. Gremlin looks in /usr/local/displays. SEE ALSO
magic(1) 3rd Berkeley Distribution 2/19/85 DISPLAYS(5)