Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: defrag
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers defrag Post 13419 by JammerFSU on Wednesday 16th of January 2002 06:34:45 PM
Old 01-16-2002
Neo is right in the Unix handles files completely different than DOS and Windows, and I tend to agree with him in that Unix filesystems don't normally need to be "defragged" however, I have, from years approximately 17 years of Unix experience, noticed that file rebuilds, access times, and the such tend to be quicker if files are in one contiguous length - ESPECIALLY if you have data files that in which a seperate index file is mainained. I think what one has to do is try for himself to determine if any performance is gained by "degragging" their Unix filesystems. Often what I find, is that what I personally may consider a performance gain and what steps I must undertake into gaining that performance gain generally does not warrant the effort.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Why we don't need to defrag UNIX FS?

Hi I am wondering which is the reason why there is no need to defrag file system in UNIX and Linux, and in Windows I must defrag it ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
7 Replies
MACUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACUTIL(1)

NAME
macutil - A package that deals with MacIntosh files on a Unix system DESCRIPTION
macutil is a package that contains a number of utilities that deal with MacIntosh files on a Unix system. It contains the following pro- grams: binhex Convert files to BinHex 4.0 compatible hexified form. frommac Receives files from the MacIntosh on the Unix system. hexbin Convert hexified files to their MacIntosh format. macsave Save a series of files from a MacBinary stream as individual files. macstream Combine a series of files to a MacBinary stream. macunpack Unpack a MacIntosh archive into its constituents. tomac Transmits files from the Unix system to a MacIntosh. BUGS
This manual page is hopelessly incomplete! SEE ALSO
binhex(1), frommac(1), hexbin(1), macsave(1), macstream(1), macunpack(1), tomac(1) AUTHOR
Dik T. Winter, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (dik@cwi.nl) 3rd Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1992 MACUTIL(1)