Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi Replace vs Input
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi Replace vs Input Post 1333 by mib on Monday 26th of February 2001 06:19:20 AM
Old 02-26-2001
either you are using vi over a slow connection or vi doesn't understand the key sequence that your keyboard is generating.

If you are working over a slow connection, you can try to set timeout or ttimeout. These options, combined with timeoutlen and ttimeoutlen, may fix the problem. Do ":h timeout" and ":h timeoutlen" from vi for a better description on how to use them.

The preceding procedure will not work correctly if your terminal sends key codes that vi does not understand. In this situation, your best option is to map your key sequence to a matching cursor movement command and save these mappings in a file called ".exrc" under your home directory. All the commands in there will be read when vi starts up.

type ":h .exrc" and ":h map" from vi for more info.

[Edited by mib on 02-26-2001 at 07:17 AM]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace <Address> with a var input by user

Hi, All here is not a full version script, just post a sample. #/bin/bash read -p 'Addr: ' addr sed 's/<Address>/'"$addr"'/' pf.mod>$1 If the input string include `/', sed will return error message. I know that s/// can be replaced with s::: or s!!!, etc, but the input var can accept... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r2007
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple input search and replace script

hi, i want to create a script that will search and replace the values inside a particular file. i have 5 files that i need to change some values inside and i don't want to use vi to edit these files. All the inputted values on the script below will be passed into the files. cho "" echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text in input file

I wish to replace values of specific parameters in an input file for batch runs of a java code. It's essentially a nested for-loop sorta like this: valuearray1 contains values for param1 valuearray2 contains values for param2 for (all values in valuearray1) go into specific position in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daphantomica
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & replace with user input

Trying to create a script/executable to replace "abc" text string in "myfile.htm" with input from a pop-up field. For example, launch this thing and a prompt is popped up asking the user to input what "abc" should be replaced with, then it inserts what the user inputs in place of abc in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike909
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace in a directory using an input file

Hi folks, I need help to finish this script please. see below: I have an input file with all the IP address to names formated like so in a txt file addnsr1pri 166.7.3.105 addnsr1sec 166.2.100.22 addnsr2pri 166.2.220.121 addnsr2sec 166.3.68.45... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two values in a file with input from two different files

Hi, I was having the following issue cat input hello1, my name is unix.com. I am awesome. Hope you know this, hello2! cat hello1.txt Hi Friends Hi Folks Hi Well-Wishers cat hello2.txt Honey Sweety Darling Required Output (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
8 Replies

7. Linux

Search a template file and replace with input

Hi I have a CommonTemplateStop.template file . Inside the file i need to replace the variables DepName and CompInsName with the values(Trade and TradeIns) specified in the script. I have written the below .sh script in linux server which will read the .template file and has to replace the 2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrat dutta
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string - searching from input file

Hi I need help with writing a script to change a string in a file. The script needs to read an input list (list.txt) file line by line searching for that string in a text.file. Once the string is found the last few words in the string should be replaced. eg list.txt will contain hello my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudobash
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace value from input parameter

Hi Guys, I am having a script file where in getting input parameter as string. I need to assign the variable but not able to achieve #!/bin/bash input=$1 replace=string_$input_string2 echo $replace I am getting but should get string_<input_value>_string2 string_ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string based on input

I am trying to read a value from a mapping file and would need to replace the value based on country parameter source_table_@ctry_final Expected final_var=source_table_aus_final If the country is in nz,usa,uk then final_var=diff_table_nz_final final_var=diff_table_usa_final like that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
10 Replies
XkbGetKeyModifierMap(3) 					   XKB FUNCTIONS					   XkbGetKeyModifierMap(3)

NAME
XkbGetKeyModifierMap - Update the modifier map for one or more of the keys in a keyboard description SYNOPSIS
Status XkbGetKeyModifierMap (Display *dpy, unsigned int first, unsigned int num, XkbDescPtr xkb); ARGUMENTS
- dpy connection to X server - first keycode of first key to get - num number of keys for which information is desired - xkb keyboard description to update DESCRIPTION
The modmap entry of the client map is an array, indexed by keycode, specifying the real modifiers bound to a key. Each entry is a mask com- posed of a bitwise inclusive OR of the legal real modifiers: ShiftMask, LockMask, ControlMask, Mod1Mask, Mod2Mask, Mod3Mask, Mod4Mask, and Mod5Mask. If a bit is set in a modmap entry, the corresponding key is bound to that modifier. Pressing or releasing the key bound to a modifier changes the modifier set and unset state. The particular manner in which the modifier set and unset state changes is determined by the behavior and actions assigned to the key. XkbGetKeyModifierMap sends a request to the server for the modifier mappings for num keys starting with the key whose keycode is first. It waits for a reply and places the results in the xkb->map->modmap array. If successful, XkbGetKeyModifier returns Success. If the map component of the xkb parameter has not been allocated, XkbGetKeyModifierMap allocates and initializes it. If a compatible version of Xkb is not available in the server or the Xkb extension has not been properly initialized, XkbGetKeySyms returns BadAccess. If any allocation errors occur while obtaining the modifier map, XkbGetKeyModifierMap returns BadAlloc. DIAGNOSTICS
BadAccess The Xkb extension has not been properly initialized BadAlloc Unable to allocate storage X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 XkbGetKeyModifierMap(3)