Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Subing Variables with commands. Post 1332 by mib on Monday 26th of February 2001 04:02:22 AM
Old 02-26-2001
Quote:
a=`ls | wc -c`, then echo $a I get:
filename: a: command not found
Try to use:
a=`echo $(ls | wc -c)` #no space after varaible name "a" nad "=" sign.
echo $a

i tried a=`ls | wc -c` and it's working fine for me!

But I got "filename: a: command not found" error message when i put space after "a" (variable name)

is this the problem with your script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subtracting Variables which are commands

I have this idea. I have a variable for the start of someones log in time, (start=`who am i | cut -c30-34`) and a variable for the log out time or present time, (end=`date | cut -c12-16`) but how do I go about subtracting them to get the total log in time. I've tried adding a another variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
2 Replies

2. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Passing variables/arguments/parameters to commands

A good place to start is simple variable passing.... Passing variables from one script to another The next level is passing a variable into a more complex command such as using a variable in a sed command. There are some simple quoting techniques that are very general. These are mentioned... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referencing variables in commands

The script I am writing must be able to run several commands (tar, gzip etc) on filenames that are supplied by variables. I am unsure as to what syntax is required/ideal when referencing variables in filenames. The following is a sample command that I would like the script to execute: tar cvf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables in sed commands

Hi there, I need to be able to put the hostid of my box into a file (replacing the text "enter_hostid_here" so i tried sed -e 's/enter_hostid_here/`hostid`/g' inputfile > outputfile but it takes the `hostid` literally as text .....how can I get this info into the file (ideally in a single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing commands in $variables.

Hi I'm trying to store commands in variables... like so.. # lastcmd=" $t1 | $t2 | $t3 | $t4 | sort | uniq" t1="sed -e 's/http:/<li><a href=\"http:/'" t2="sed -e 's/http:.*/&\">&<\/a>Web Link<br>/'" t3="sed -e 's/.*. mailto:/<li><a href=\"mailto:/'" t4="sed -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paulw0t
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables within awk/sed commands

Can I use my own variables within awk and sed for example: I've written a while loop with a counter $i and I want to use the value of $i within sed and awk to edit certain lines of text within a data file. I want to use : sed '1s/$/texthere/g' data.csv Like this: sed '$is/$/$age/g' data.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping through commands read as variables from file

This is going to be part of a longer script with more features, but I have boiled it down to the one thing that is presently stumping me. The goal is a script which checks for updates to web pages that can be run as a cron job. The script reads (from a tab-delim file) a URL, an MD5 digest, and an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Remote Commands via SSH with variables

Hi there I found the Command to send commands to other servers like: sv01> ssh user@sv02 'ps -ef' But I cant use Variables from a script i want to execute on another server like: sv01> ssh user@sv02 'cd $SCRIPTHOME' although the variable is set on sv01. How can I run commands on sv02 with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkSwiss
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables into SED or AWK and multiple commands

Hello I am hoping you may help. I am not sure how to go about this exactly, I know the tools but not sure how to make them work together. I have two SED commands that I would like to run in a shell script. I would like to take the manual input of a user (types in when prompted) to be used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put variables commands in config files?

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to put in variables all the commands in /bin config files: /home/test/config_file/config.cfg cat /home/test/config_file/config.cfg ECHO=/bin/echo LS=/bin/lsMain script cat test.sh source=/home/test/config_file/config.cfg ECHO=$ECHO LS=$LS#i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: znesotomayor
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)