Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bad autentication
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users bad autentication Post 13172 by wizard on Sunday 13th of January 2002 12:40:17 AM
Old 01-13-2002
Sendmail and pop use standard UNIX IDs. For each user you just need a valid UNIX ID with password.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp autentication

How can I do a ftp connection (inside a shell that runs under cron) with a remote server including my ID and passwd? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiscaro
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I just did something bad....

I ran rm -rf lib*, I intended libm*, it deleted the whole lib dir from root. This is a dedicated webserver. What should I do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lss1
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

performence is bad

Hello experts, I have a series issue in script that result with bad peformence and I wonder if you can assist me. For example I have two files: File-New, size 15Mb. File-Old, size 1Mb. File-New content: a b c d File-Old content: d f a b (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: roybe
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Interpreter

Hi. My name is Caleb (a.k.a RagingNinja) form the whited00r forums. (Whited00r makes custom firmware for iOS devices). I have been learning and creating simple shells scripts. I have been recently using VIM for Windows or using VirtualBox to run the UBUNTU OS within VirtualBox to create my shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RagingNinja
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

8. Solaris

bad options(s)

Hi Folks, I am seeing an issue in solaris, while running a script.. Script contents #!/usr/bin/bash echo $HOME echo "********** RUNNING props on test ********" . /opt/home/weblogic/.profile > /dev/null echo "****** CURRENT BRANCH: $BRANCH *********"; .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution

Cant undestand :) why i have an error on line 2.it is working on my other boxes #!/bin/bash ret=$(echo Q | timeout 5 openssl s_client connect "${1`hostname`}:${2-443}" -ssl3 2> /dev/null) if echo "${ret}" | grep -q 'Protocol.*SSLv3'; then if echo "${ret}" | grep -q 'Cipher.*0000'; then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
7 Replies
PAM_UNIX(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       PAM_UNIX(8)

NAME
pam_unix -- UNIX PAM module SYNOPSIS
[service-name] module-type control-flag pam_unix [options] DESCRIPTION
The UNIX authentication service module for PAM, pam_unix provides functionality for three PAM categories: authentication, account management, and password management. In terms of the module-type parameter, they are the ``auth'', ``account'', and ``password'' features. It also pro- vides a null function for session management. UNIX Authentication Module The UNIX authentication component provides functions to verify the identity of a user (pam_sm_authenticate()), which obtains the relevant passwd(5) entry. It prompts the user for a password and verifies that this is correct with crypt(3). The following options may be passed to the authentication module: debug syslog(3) debugging information at LOG_DEBUG level. use_first_pass If the authentication module is not the first in the stack, and a previous module obtained the user's password, that password is used to authenticate the user. If this fails, the authentication module returns failure without prompting the user for a password. This option has no effect if the authentication module is the first in the stack, or if no previous modules obtained the user's password. try_first_pass This option is similar to the use_first_pass option, except that if the previously obtained password fails, the user is prompted for another password. auth_as_self This option will require the user to authenticate themselves as themselves, not as the account they are attempting to access. This is primarily for services like su(1), where the user's ability to retype their own password might be deemed sufficient. nullok If the password database has no password for the entity being authenticated, then this option will forgo password prompting, and silently allow authentication to succeed. NOTE: If pam_unix is invoked by a process that does not have the privileges required to access the password database (in most cases, this means root privileges), the nullok option may cause pam_unix to allow any user to log in with any password. local_pass Use only the local password database, even if NIS is in use. This will cause an authentication failure if the system is con- figured to only use NIS. nis_pass Use only the NIS password database. This will cause an authentication failure if the system is not configured to use NIS. UNIX Account Management Module The UNIX account management component provides a function to perform account management, pam_sm_acct_mgmt(). The function verifies that the authenticated user is allowed to log into the local user account by checking the following criteria: - locked status of the account compatible with pw(8) lock; - the password expiry date from passwd(5); - login.conf(5) restrictions on the remote host, login time, and tty. The following options may be passed to the management module: debug syslog(3) debugging information at LOG_DEBUG level. UNIX Password Management Module The UNIX password management component provides a function to perform password management, pam_sm_chauthtok(). The function changes the user's password. The following options may be passed to the password module: debug syslog(3) debugging information at LOG_DEBUG level. no_warn suppress warning messages to the user. These messages include reasons why the user's authentication attempt was declined. local_pass forces the password module to change a local password in favour of a NIS one. nis_pass forces the password module to change a NIS password in favour of a local one. FILES
/etc/master.passwd default UNIX password database. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), getlogin(2), crypt(3), getpwent(3), syslog(3), nsswitch.conf(5), passwd(5), pam(8), pw(8), yp(8) BUGS
The pam_unix module ignores the PAM_CHANGE_EXPIRED_AUTHTOK flag. BSD
June 20, 2009 BSD