Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Limiting access
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Limiting access Post 1312 by misha on Friday 23rd of February 2001 08:46:16 AM
Old 02-23-2001
Data

Hi, I'm new to linux and unix, and i have couple of problems:

1) how can i limit the access for a user, for example, i created a user, and i want that this user will be able to be only in one directory, and will see only the files i want him to.

2) I have a domain name, and i want that every time i type this domain name in the browser, it will be connected to my unix/linux server. (to connect a DNS with my own server)

10Q very much...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about limiting the display from the ls command

hey guys im rly new to unix. im attempting to list the 5 largest files in a directory. so i got this far... ls -lR | sort -r and this lists all files by filesize, how can i limit this to only the 5 largest? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aesop
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

limiting failed logins to three

I have tried limiting failed logins to three by the following method logins -ox \ | awk -F: '($8 != "LK" && $1 != "root") { print $1 }' \ | while read logname; do /usr/lbin/modprpw -m umaxlntr=3 "$logname" done /usr/lbin/modprdef -m umaxlntr=3 but it is failing on the 4th... any ideas?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

limiting data inputs for the user

if my user has to enter the name of months to carry out a search how can I limit the input values to only the month names and nothing else? so far my input criteria for the user is this: i would like it so the user can only enter the months in the way i have stated. otherwise they would... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
11 Replies

4. HP-UX

Limiting SFTP Users While Not Limiting Regular Users?

Hi, I have searched the web and have come back with nothing that is satisfactory for what I require. SFTP is my corporations new file transfer standard. What I require is a method to lock down SFTP users to their directory (they may go to sub directories) while not restricting regular users. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emancipator
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Limiting number of processors used by an application

Hello, Using a Solaris SunOS 5.10, is there anyway to limit the number of processors utilised by an external vendor application over the server, from the unix OS perspective? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgop
1 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Limiting a user to a script upon login, nothing else.

Hi there, I have a Debian 5.0 server that my company uses for deployment testing. This server needs to be accessed by NOC people that have no NIX knowledge whatsoever. I am creating a bash script for a menu-based command interface for the commands they need to run on their testing routines,... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
21 Replies

7. Solaris

Limiting Connections from a single IP

I'm looking for a way to limit connections to a Solaris 10 box from any single IP. The problem is that I've had more experience doing this with IPTables on Linux, rather than with IPFilter, which I've found to be somewhat feature-poor. I hope there is some way to do this using IPFilter, I've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spynappels
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Limiting access to postqueue

Hi, I have a Debian 6 machine running Postfix 2.7.1. The email server works pretty well. I discovered that any non-root user can access to the mail queue using postqueue command just like root. How can I limit this access? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limiting the Script

Greetings. I have script to monitor the disk space of folder it runs every 17 min with help of cron. It sends email when disk size reaches to 85 %. Now the issue is that it continousely generates email until we clear some space in that folder. Is it possible to restrict the Script to send only... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: manju98458
14 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)