Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lilo
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Lilo Post 13104 by killerserv on Friday 11th of January 2002 06:54:52 AM
Old 01-11-2002
Livinfree, i understand what you trying to say Smilie its loud and clear sir, But my situation in here whereas i cant 100% find my /etc/lilo.conf at all. Totally none because i accidentally skiped the [Installed lilo in MBR] process at the Begining of Linux installation. Now what i want is how to Install back lilo. Fresh.. in my MBR ( master boot record). Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat and LILO

Hi well ive got a slight prob with LILO, ive been trying to delete my linux partition and merge my entire hard drive back into one but when I do so LILO is still there, even after I erase the linux partition and I was pretty sure that it was on the boot record or something anyway, but all it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drainy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

Does anyone know what LILO stands for and what it exactly does during the boot process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jensam
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

I have installed linux.. but it wont boot.. it says: "LI" and then my computer freezes.. it has worked before.. A couple of days ago, I tried to install OpenBSD.. I used the whole disk for it.. I think it's something with the MBR-settings I made in the OpenBSD installation.. How can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hamcha
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Lilo Boot

i hade and Win 2000 and and Linux 6.2 on a machine, the Lilo boot worked properly . . after i had changed the Partion size with Partion Magic in w2k and rebooted my computer hangs and just says "Li" in the upper left corner . . can some one plz explain to me where the problem is, can i get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajjan2
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

I need help with lilo

:confused: I've been trying to figure out what happen to Windows 2000 since I upgrade my partition of Red Hat 7.1 to 7.2. Before I even upgraded my system would dual boot both OS's now it only sees Linux in lilo. Can some one help me I'm in need of help. Can you tell me what I'm missing in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Lilo

i hade and Win 2000 and and Linux 6.2 on a machine, the Lilo boot worked properly . . after i had changed the Partion size with Partion Magic in w2k and rebooted my computer hangs and just says "Li" in the upper left corner . . can some one plz explain to me where the problem is, can i get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajjan2
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LILO question again. Need help.

I know that this question has been asked here many times before, but after 4hours of reading and conf file changing I'm still where I started. Here's the scenario. I have a machine that has 60GB HDD, RedHat 7.3 & Win2K. 19 first GB are win2k (FAT32; /dev/hda1). Then comes RedHat 7.3: hda2 -> /boot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing lilo

I have a machine that dual boots win2k and linux, and we are handing it off so it no longer needs linux. Linux is a separate partition so I can delete the partition, but I need to remove lilo- how do I do that ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

lilo.conf for lvm

Does anyone know how to write a lilo.conf for lvm configurations. I have the devices addressed as: /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / (root) /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 (swap) When running lilo, Error states: can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0xFD02 Would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrank27
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

lilo question

I use redhat7.0, and I want to update kernel to 2.4.0,I make following steps: #gzip -cd linux-2.4.0.tar.gz | tar xvf - #cd linux #make mrproper #make config #make dep #make bzdisk #make modules #make modules_install #cp linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot then I modify lilo.conf,like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
0 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)