Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Very Challenging Question! Need help bad! Post 12814 by Sparticus007 on Monday 7th of January 2002 06:19:15 PM
Old 01-07-2002
Tools Very Challenging Question! Need help bad!

I am in desperate need of an answer to this question. I have looked everywhere (even the man pages) and found very little.

Solaris has the concept of "plumbing" a network interface. What does this mean?

I would be really greatful to whoever could help me answer this question. I am so lost...thanx in advance!!

-John

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bad substitution problem (easy question)

hi, what i want to do is to convert all the txt file under my directory to the properties file using the native2ascii command. however, when i run my script, i got bad substitution error. what's wrong with my script ? pls help. thanks #!/bin/sh curDIR=`pwd` oldExt='txt'... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Challenging situation for the MODERATORS

Well, I hope this way you will respond to my inquiries. I have 4 unix servers,with static ips (though i dont think this is an issue)....i can telnet and rlogin from one to the other....if i FTP from on et othe other and try to execute : cd /user return /user : no such file or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BAM
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

help with discovering bad passwords question

Is there of a scheme for discovering badly chosen user passwords from a Unix password file? Im not learning anything bad or trying to hack,this a question that was given to me in an information security seminar. Would password cracker be a correct answer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jodders
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging Compare and validate question -- plus speed.

I have a tab delimited HUGE file (13 million records) with Detail, Metadata and Summary records. Sample File looks like this M BESTWESTERN 4 ACTIVITY_CNT_L12 A 3 M AIRTRAN 4 ACTIVITY_CNT_L12 A 3 D BESTWESTERN FIRSTNAME LASTNAME 209 N SANBORN AVE D BESTWESTERN FIRSTNAME LASTNAME 6997... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
25 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging!! Help needed

Hi, I have a script xyz.ksh which accpets two parameters the format of first one is :X_TABLENAME_Y and second one is a digit. I can extract a table name from that parameter and store it in a variable var_tblnm, so if i pass a parameter X_TABLE1_Y the value in var_tblenm is "TABLE1" now i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcdiss
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Challenging Problem. Please read fully.

Hi, This is the Third thread i'm putting here for the same problem. :( Actually, i'm trying a script like this.. but its taking a long time.. about 3 days to complete fully.. #!/bin/ksh if then exit 1 fi while read i do while read j do field7=`echo $j|cut -d "|"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with this challenging code....

Hello All, I am new to this forum, and the reason I came here is to seek solution from the experts. I have written following wrapper script, it was running fine from past couple of months, until last week. When one of the function in the script which suppose to login through ssh to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tajdar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question/review my script: removing bad chars from filenames

The task: remove undesirable characters from filenames. Restrictions: Must use basic RE, base utilities (non-GNU) and /bin/sh (ash). No ksh, zsh, perl, etc. Below is what I've come up with. It seems to work OK but I'm open to shorter, more efficient alternatives. Inside the square... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging scenario

Hi, My input file contains 1,2 2,4 3,6 4,9 9,10 My expected output is 1,10 2,10 3,6 4,1 9,10 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
6 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Question; $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); DESCRIPTION
A Net::DNS::Question object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10', 'PTR', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10'); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. One or both type and class arguments may be omitted and will assume the default values shown above. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in both in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa namespaces. decode $question = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); ($question, $offset) = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); Decodes the question record at the specified location within a DNS wire-format packet. The first argument is a reference to the buffer containing the packet data. The second argument is the offset of the start of the question record. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. An exception is raised if the object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). encode $data = $question->encode( $offset, $hash ); Returns the Net::DNS::Question in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet buffer. The optional arguments are the offset within the packet data where the Net::DNS::Question is to be stored and a reference to a hash table used to index compressed names within the packet. name $name = $question->name; Internationalised domain name corresponding to the qname attribute. Decoding non-ASCII domain names is computationally expensive and undesirable for names which are likely to be used to construct further queries. When required to communicate with humans, the 'proper' domain name should be extracted from a query or reply packet. $query = new Net::DNS::Packet( $example, 'ANY' ); $reply = $resolver->send($query) or die; ($question) = $reply->question; $name = $question->name; qname, zname $qname = $question->qname; $zname = $question->zname; Canonical ASCII domain name as required for the query subject transmitted to a nameserver. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zname() and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype $qtype = $question->qtype; $ztype = $question->ztype; Returns the question type attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as ztype() and refers to the zone type. qclass, zclass $qclass = $question->qclass; $zclass = $question->zclass; Returns the question class attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zclass() and refers to the zone class. print $object->print; Prints the record to the standard output. Calls the string() method to get the string representation. string print "string = ", $question->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c)2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c)2003,2006-2011 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, Net::DNS::Packet, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.18.2 2014-01-16 Net::DNS::Question(3)