Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Defining variables at boot time Post 12766 by ianf on Monday 7th of January 2002 11:57:25 AM
Old 01-07-2002
Code as follows from /etc/profiles

#ident "@(#)profile 1.17 95/03/28 SMI" /* SVr4.0 1.3 */

# The profile that all logins get before using their own .profile.

trap "" 2 3
export LOGNAME PATH

if [ "$TERM" = "" ]
then
if /bin/i386
then
TERM=AT386
else
TERM=sun
fi
export TERM
fi

# Login and -su shells get /etc/profile services.
# -rsh is given its environment in its .profile.

case "$0" in
-sh | -ksh | -jsh)

if [ ! -f .hushlogin ]
then
/usr/sbin/quota
# Allow the user to break the Message-Of-The-Day only.
trap "trap '' 2" 2
/bin/cat -s /etc/motd
trap "" 2

/bin/mail -E
case $? in
0)
echo "You have new mail."
;;
2)
echo "You have mail."
;;
esac
fi
esac

umask 022
trap 2 3
CLASSPATH=/ianf
export CLASSPATH

I'm using Solaris 2.6

I'm loging in on telnet and console.

Thanx.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start a process at boot up time

Hi, I have a program that check the IP address and automatic update it to the DNS server. I would like to run this program when the computer bootup after pppd get a connection. How do I add it to the init file. Does any one have any information of how to do it. I run a Linux Mandrake as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

2. BSD

Reduce boot-time delay on FreeBSD?

Say for instance, I would like to reduce the delay/waiting time for the boot-time menu from 10 seconds to 5 seconds, how would I go about doing it? From what I've been able to find, entering "autoboot 5" into the right file would take care of that for me, but the man pages are unclear as to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DownSouthMoe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining Variables

I'm trying to define a variable named sin I already have a variable named cos, which has the value "hello" I want sin to have the value of "hellothere", so sin would be something like sin = $cos & "there" but I'm not sure that I know the syntax. Can anyone help? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailorliones
4 Replies

4. Programming

How to get time since last boot?

How do I get the number of tics or seconds since the last boot? How do I convert tics to seconds? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining variables

Hey all, I was wondering if someone would take a look at this script I'm working on. I don't know if i have the syntax correct for my variables and if the for loop is written correctly. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. #!/usr/bin/bash ###########################################... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
12 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP UX start process at boot time

When I get start program at boot I read which run level /sbin/rcx.d runlevel=0.....x only read directory which directory name has UpperCase 'S' is not enough someone says that I need to reference another file which file I need to reference 1)/etc/rc.config.d/all file which parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

I want to get machine boot up time

I use the uptime command,but it only show how long system has been up up 18 days but I want the this format machine boot time YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss does any command can get that or how to i use program to do this (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
6 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Upgrading 9.04 version 9.10 - slow boot time

After upgrading my 9.04 version to the 9.10 my boot time duplicates. I donīt know the reason why the time of boot gets to the double. Someone ??? Thx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diesan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defining Dynamic Number of Variables in a Bash Script

Code: $ cat test.bash #!/bin/bash job=$1 steps=$2 num=$(echo "$@" | wc -w) Example Submission: $ ./test.bash BS01 3 1 2 3 What: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Boot time driver conflict

I have a Microdia web cam. Some times it won't work if and only if there is a "HV7131R image sensor detected" statement in the boot up. In this case when I try to get a .png snapshot all I get is a frame full of what appears to be white noise only it is mostly green. Here is the command I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
0 Replies
BOOTCTL(1)							      bootctl								BOOTCTL(1)

NAME
bootctl - Control the firmware and boot manager settings SYNOPSIS
bootctl [OPTIONS...] status bootctl [OPTIONS...] list bootctl [OPTIONS...] update bootctl [OPTIONS...] install bootctl [OPTIONS...] remove DESCRIPTION
bootctl checks, updates, installs or removes the boot loader from the current system. bootctl status checks and prints the currently installed versions of the boot loader binaries and all current EFI boot variables. bootctl list displays all configured boot loader entries. bootctl update updates all installed versions of systemd-boot, if the current version is newer than the version installed in the EFI system partition. This also includes the EFI default/fallback loader at /EFI/BOOT/BOOT*.EFI. A systemd-boot entry in the EFI boot variables is created if there is no current entry. The created entry will be added to the end of the boot order list. bootctl install installs systemd-boot into the EFI system partition. A copy of systemd-boot will be stored as the EFI default/fallback loader at /EFI/BOOT/BOOT*.EFI. A systemd-boot entry in the EFI boot variables is created and added to the top of the boot order list. bootctl remove removes all installed versions of systemd-boot from the EFI system partition, and removes systemd-boot from the EFI boot variables. If no command is passed, status is implied. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. --path= Path to the EFI System Partition (ESP). If not specified, /efi, /boot, and /boot/efi are checked in turn. It is recommended to mount the ESP to /boot, if possible. -p, --print-path This option modifies the behaviour of status. Just print the path to the EFI System Partition (ESP) to standard output and exit. --no-variables Do not touch the EFI boot variables. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
Boot loader specification[1] systemd boot loader interface[2] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec 2. systemd boot loader interface https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/BootLoaderInterface systemd 237 BOOTCTL(1)