Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: adding columns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding columns Post 12741 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 7th of January 2002 09:08:55 AM
Old 01-07-2002
Thanks it works great. I have been an Admin for about 4 years, but I am still amazed at the versatility of UNIX and the variety of commands that are available.

Another command that I had not used before is "vacation". A very good command if you send and receive email primarily from your UNIX box.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adding columns in csv

I have the following data in FILE1.CSV: code: Amount1: Amount2: xxxxx ,, 200 ,,400 yyxxa ,,200 bbcgu ,,2500 ,,300 i want to be able to produce the following FILE2.CSV: code: Amount xxxxx ,, 600... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chachabronson
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding columns to a file

I want to select the first column from a daily file called foo.csv. The result is written to file foo.txt. Currently the following script is used for that: cut -d, -f 1 foo.csv > foo.txt A typical result would yield : A12 A45 B11 B67 What needs to happen in addition is that two columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns of two files

Hello everyone, I have two files containing 6 columns and thousands of rows. I want to add them (i.e. first column of first file + first column of second file and so on) and print the output in a third file. Can you please help me. Thanks a lot (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandra321
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding lines and columns to a file

Hi everybody, I've got two simples file1 like: aaa aaa aaa bbb bbb bbb ccc ccc ccc and file2 like: 111 111 111 222 222 222 333 333 333 I need to: 1) add a line say "new line" as the first line of the file 2)add a column from file2 (say column3) to file1; the new column should... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding loads of columns

Hi All, I've got file1 like this: aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh kkk ppp mmm nnn and file 2 like this: aaa qqq www ddd fff ggg ggg sss zzz ppp vvv yyy and file 3 like this: aaa ggg ppp I need to match the first column of file3 and file1, then add the rest of the file 1 to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting and adding columns

i have a file with two columns, and i want to uniquely sort the values in fist column and add the corresponding values in the second columns eg file a contents tom 200 john 300 sow 500 tom 800 james 50 sow 300 output shpould be in file b as tom 1000 john 300 sow 800 james 50 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns of time

Hello all, I'm in the process of writing a script, and I need to be able to add columns of time in the following format (time elapsed Net Backup logs): 000:01:03 000:00:58 000:00:49 Does anyone have a way of converting and/or adding timestamps such as these accurately? Thanks in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ask adding columns

Hello, I am using AWK in UBUNTU 12.04. I have a dataset as follows: 1 2 12 1 4 1 4 1 7 9 4 6 1 2 4 5 7 8 45 7 4 5 7 5 What I want to do is to add the values of some columns to each other and print it in the same file as the new column while omitting the previous two columns to have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns with values dependent on existing columns

Hello I have a file as below chr1 start ref alt code1 code2 chr1 18884 C CAAAA 2 0 chr1 135419 TATACA T 2 0 chr1 332045 T TTG 0 2 chr1 453838 T TAC 2 0 chr1 567652 T TG 1 0 chr1 602541 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plumb_r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns from 2 files with variable number of columns

I have two files, file1 and file2 who have identical number of rows and columns. However, the script is supposed to be used for for different files and I cannot know the format in advance. Also, the number of columns changes within the file, some rows have more and some less columns (they are... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: maya3
13 Replies
VACATION(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VACATION(1)

NAME
vacation - E-mail auto-responder SYNOPSIS
vacation [-a alias] [-C cffile] [-d] [-f database] [-i] [-I] [-j] [-l] [-m message] [-R returnaddr] [-r interval] [-s address] [-t time] [-U] [-x] [-z] login DESCRIPTION
Vacation returns a message, ~/.vacation.msg by default, to the sender informing them that you are currently not reading your mail. The message is only sent to each sender once per reply interval (see -r below). The intended use is in a .forward file. For example, your .forward file might have: eric, "|/usr/bin/vacation -a allman eric" which would send messages to you (assuming your login name was eric) and reply to any messages for ``eric'' or ``allman''. Available options: -a alias Handle messages for alias in the same manner as those received for the user's login name. -C cfpath Specify pathname of the sendmail configuration file. This option is ignored if -U is specified. This option defaults to the stan- dard sendmail configuration file, located at /etc/mail/sendmail.cf on most systems. -d Send error/debug messages to stderr instead of syslog. Otherwise, fatal errors, such as calling vacation with incorrect arguments, or with non-existent logins, are logged in the system log file, using syslog(8). This should only be used on the command line, not in your .forward file. -f filename Use filename as name of the database instead of ~/.vacation.db or ~/.vacation.{dir,pag}. Unless the filename starts with / it is relative to ~. -i Initialize the vacation database files. It should be used before you modify your .forward file. This should only be used on the command line, not in your .forward file. -I Same as -i (for backwards compatibility). This should only be used on the command line, not in your .forward file. -j Respond to the message regardless of whether the login is listed as a recipient for the message. Do not use this flag unless you are sure of the consequences. For example, this will cause to reply to mailing list messages which may result in removing you from the list. -l List the content of the vacation database file including the address and the associated time of the last auto-response to that address. This should only be used on the command line, not in your .forward file. -m filename Use filename as name of the file containing the message to send instead of ~/.vacation.msg. Unless the filename starts with / it is relative to ~. -R returnaddr Set the reply envelope sender address -r interval Set the reply interval to interval days. The default is one week. An interval of ``0'' or ``infinite'' (actually, any non-numeric character) will never send more than one reply. The -r option should only be used when the vacation database is initialized (see -i above). -s address Use address instead of the incoming message sender address on the From line as the recipient for the vacation message. -t time Ignored, available only for compatibility with Sun's vacation program. -U Do not attempt to lookup login in the password file. The -f and -m options must be used to specify the database and message file since there is no home directory for the default settings for these options. -x Reads an exclusion list from stdin (one address per line). Mails coming from an address in this exclusion list won't get a reply by vacation. It is possible to exclude complete domains by specifying ``@domain'' as element of the exclusion list. This should only be used on the command line, not in your .forward file. -z Set the sender of the vacation message to ``<>'' instead of the user. This probably violates the RFCs since vacation messages are not required by a standards-track RFC to have a null reverse-path. Vacation reads the first line from the standard input for a UNIX ``From'' line to determine the sender. Sendmail(8) includes this ``From'' line automatically. No message will be sent unless login (or an alias supplied using the -a option) is part of either the ``To:'' or ``Cc:'' headers of the mail. No messages from ``???-REQUEST'', ``???-RELAY'', ``???-OWNER'', ``OWNER-???'', ``Postmaster'', ``UUCP'', ``MAILER'', or ``MAILER- DAEMON'' will be replied to (where these strings are case insensitive) nor is a notification sent if a ``Precedence: bulk'' or ``Prece- dence: junk'' line is included in the mail headers. The people who have sent you messages are maintained as a db(3) or dbm(3) database in the file .vacation.db or .vacation.{dir,pag} in your home directory. Vacation expects a file .vacation.msg, in your home directory, containing a message to be sent back to each sender. It should be an entire message (including headers). For example, it might contain: From: eric@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Allman) Subject: I am on vacation Delivered-By-The-Graces-Of: The Vacation program Precedence: bulk I am on vacation until July 22. If you have something urgent, please contact Keith Bostic <bostic@CS.Berkeley.EDU>. --eric FILES
~/.vacation.db default database file for db(3) ~/.vacation.{dir,pag} default database file for dbm(3) ~/.vacation.msg default message to send SEE ALSO
sendmail(8), syslog(8) HISTORY
The vacation command appeared in 4.3BSD. $Date: 2002/06/27 23:51:52 $ VACATION(1)