Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Anyone else see a performance hit from ext3 Post 12722 by Neo on Sunday 6th of January 2002 06:35:59 PM
Old 01-06-2002
I use ext2 and love it.... no plans to move to ext3... seems like it has a lot of overhead that I don't need (since my ext2 filesystems don't crash...) Perhaps if you are in an environment where someone powers down a server (all the time) without doing a proper shutdown, ext3 is worth the overhead?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

EXT3 Performance tuning

Hi all, long time ago I posted something, but now, it is needed again :( Currently, I am handling with a big NFS Server for more than 200 clients, this sever has to work with 256 NFSDs. Because of this huge amount of NFSDs, there are thousands of small write accesses down to the disk and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write catch hit ratio

Dear friends, Does any one know about alert "write catch hit ratio" on Solaris 9? How to avoid???? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Performance Hit With Many Files

Is it slower to open or create a file in a directory with 1 million files than a directory with 1000 files? How much slower? Where can I find information about this? I'm mainly concerned about JFS on AIX, but also NTFS on Windows Server. Is there a difference? I'm trying to determine a good... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyner
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to hit a url

Hi all, I have a php file that grabs xml, parses it and updates my db accordingly. I want to automate the execution of this process, rather than having to hit the url manually. I have been looking into using cron to execute a script to do this, however i'm not exactly sure what command i would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: restivz77
1 Replies

5. Programming

why multiple SIGINT raises when i hit C-c

hi, in my application, i have set up to capture SIGINT and execute a handler.the problem is whenever i hit C-c, multiple SIGINT are sent to the application.I have blocked the SIGINT right after catching the first one but it is unsuccessful.Here is what i do : jmp_buf main_loop; int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sedighzadeh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hit count on a shell script

I have a unix shell script (ex.sh) written. How to find out how many users (incl. myself) have run this .sh ? I can insert code snipet at top of script if need be. - Ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi368
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Next Best Hit..

Hi.. I need to get the following output from the input file like this INPUT GRM1 GRM1 0 GRM1 ABC1 1 GRM1 FEQ1 2 GRM1 SED1 3 ABC2 GRM1 0 ABC2 ABC2 1 ABC2 FEQ1 2 ABC2 BED1 3 SED1 SED1 0 SED1 SED1 1 SED1 SED1 2 SED1 ABC1 3 OUTPUT: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
7 Replies

8. SuSE

Java hit

Hello, I'm having trouble looking for info for SUSIE on this CVE-2012-4681. This is basically the newest Java hit. It is mostly a web browser issue but I would like to see if the versions on our servers are vulnerable. I already found the pages/info for Solaris and RHEL. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
4 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

vnc password hit from Retina

Hello, I'm having an issue with VNC. Security at work says that they scanned my servers (Solaris, RHEL, SLES) and found that you don't need a password to access a VNC session. I have tested this and you can't login to the VNC session without a password. Can someone tell what the Retina scanner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bitlord
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl to hit the submit button

Hello, I am looking to hit a URL using curl and click on submit button so that I can get the results. The below is the code <input name="tos_accepted" id="tos_accepted" class="button" type="submit" value="Yes, I Agree"/> <input name="tos_discarded" id="tos_discarded"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kochappa
1 Replies
FILESYSTEMS(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    FILESYSTEMS(5)

NAME
filesystems - Linux file-system types: minix, ext, ext2, ext3, ext4, Reiserfs, XFS, JFS, xia, msdos, umsdos, vfat, ntfs, proc, nfs, iso9660, hpfs, sysv, smb, ncpfs DESCRIPTION
When, as is customary, the proc file system is mounted on /proc, you can find in the file /proc/filesystems which file systems your kernel currently supports. If you need a currently unsupported one, insert the corresponding module or recompile the kernel. In order to use a file system, you have to mount it; see mount(8). Below a short description of a few of the available file systems. minix is the file system used in the Minix operating system, the first to run under Linux. It has a number of shortcomings: a 64MB partition size limit, short filenames, a single timestamp, etc. It remains useful for floppies and RAM disks. ext is an elaborate extension of the minix file system. It has been completely superseded by the second version of the extended file system (ext2) and has been removed from the kernel (in 2.1.21). ext2 is the high performance disk file system used by Linux for fixed disks as well as removable media. The second extended file system was designed as an extension of the extended file system (ext). ext2 offers the best performance (in terms of speed and CPU usage) of the file systems supported under Linux. ext3 is a journaling version of the ext2 file system. It is easy to switch back and forth between ext2 and ext3. ext4 is a set of upgrades to ext3 including substantial performance and reliability enhancements, plus large increases in volume, file, and directory size limits. Reiserfs is a journaling file system, designed by Hans Reiser, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.1. XFS is a journaling file system, developed by SGI, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.20. JFS is a journaling file system, developed by IBM, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.24. xiafs was designed and implemented to be a stable, safe file system by extending the Minix file system code. It provides the basic most requested features without undue complexity. The xia file system is no longer actively developed or maintained. It was removed from the kernel in 2.1.21. msdos is the file system used by DOS, Windows, and some OS/2 computers. msdos filenames can be no longer than 8 characters, followed by an optional period and 3 character extension. umsdos is an extended DOS file system used by Linux. It adds capability for long filenames, UID/GID, POSIX permissions, and special files (devices, named pipes, etc.) under the DOS file system, without sacrificing compatibility with DOS. vfat is an extended DOS file system used by Microsoft Windows95 and Windows NT. VFAT adds the capability to use long filenames under the MSDOS file system. ntfs replaces Microsoft Window's FAT file systems (VFAT, FAT32). It has reliability, performance, and space-utilization enhancements plus features like ACLs, journaling, encryption, and so on. proc is a pseudo file system which is used as an interface to kernel data structures rather than reading and interpreting /dev/kmem. In particular, its files do not take disk space. See proc(5). iso9660 is a CD-ROM file system type conforming to the ISO 9660 standard. High Sierra Linux supports High Sierra, the precursor to the ISO 9660 standard for CD-ROM file systems. It is automatically recognized within the iso9660 file-system support under Linux. Rock Ridge Linux also supports the System Use Sharing Protocol records specified by the Rock Ridge Interchange Protocol. They are used to further describe the files in the iso9660 file system to a Unix host, and provide information such as long filenames, UID/GID, POSIX permissions, and devices. It is automatically recognized within the iso9660 file-system support under Linux. hpfs is the High Performance Filesystem, used in OS/2. This file system is read-only under Linux due to the lack of available documentation. sysv is an implementation of the SystemV/Coherent file system for Linux. It implements all of Xenix FS, SystemV/386 FS, and Coherent FS. nfs is the network file system used to access disks located on remote computers. smb is a network file system that supports the SMB protocol, used by Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT, and Lan Manager. To use smb fs, you need a special mount program, which can be found in the ksmbfs package, found at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/smbfs. ncpfs is a network file system that supports the NCP protocol, used by Novell NetWare. To use ncpfs, you need special programs, which can be found at ftp://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/ncpfs. SEE ALSO
proc(5), fsck(8), mkfs(8), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-05-24 FILESYSTEMS(5)