Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I change security on a file or directory? Post 12715 by peter.herlihy on Sunday 6th of January 2002 03:50:06 PM
Old 01-06-2002
A hint if you're trying to find information on any command - use the man page.

Just type in "man command_name".

Now if you don't know what the command is - as I figure you didn't in this instance - then try using "man -k search_word"

The -k does a keyword search through man and gives you a list of instances where this keyword is in the command name or command description....i.e for the "permissions" on a file

$ man -k permissions
chmod chmod (1) - change the permissions mode of a file
fbtab logindevperm (4) - login-based device permissions
logindevperm logindevperm (4) - login-based device permissions
uucheck uucheck (1m) - check the uucp directories and permissions file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

home directory security

Hi, we have an FTP Server running on Unix. Users' home directories are protected with 700 permissions and all working fine. Recently we got a requirement to allow everyone to upload new files (not to overwrite existing files, of course) into others' home directories but without having provided... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change All File Names in a Directory

Hi, If I have a directory full of say 100 random files, and I would like to organize them, for example: FILE001, FILE002, FILE003, FILE004, etc. How would I do this from Terminal, instead of manually changing each file? I'm using Mac OS X, if that makes a difference. Thank you in advance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andou
8 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Directory of Security Links (Software Tools)

Hello, If you are interested in security, check out this new directory of unix and linux related software tools. Security - Links If you have any of your favorite tools, feel free to add them to the directory. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. AIX

Security user Can't change the groups.

Dears Security users in AIX don’t have permission to change the group of the user thru Smitty Users When they try to change the group of the users to any group they'll get permission denied Security profile in Smitty : User... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we change the permissions of a file in a directory

Hi All, I am trying to wite a Shell script which changes the permission of the files in a folder but stuck at a particular point,please help. The scenario is as follwoing: I am having a list of 10 files and a folder which has 100 files. I need to copare the list and the folder ,for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
4 Replies

6. AIX

/etc/security/limits value change

Hello, I have changed the value for one user in /etc/security/limit via root user as paul: time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097151 data(kbytes) unlimited stack(kbytes) unlimited memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) unlimited ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change database directory to another directory?

Hi, I Installed mysql on my CentOS 6.2 Server. But when I tried to change the location of /var/lib/mysql to another directory. I can't start the mysql. Below is what I've done yum install mysql mysql-server mysql-devel mkdir /path/to/new/ cp -R /var/lib/mysql /path/to/new chown -R... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganitolngyundre
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change directory for core file

Hi, Some of the process in th environment are producing a core file. These core files are produced by default in the directory from which they were launched. I want to change the default directory to say /tmp of that environment. I am using both Linux and Solaris, so will need the solution... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj999
2 Replies
logindevperm(4) 						   File Formats 						   logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)