Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Host file and domain name
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Host file and domain name Post 12581 by rwb1959 on Thursday 3rd of January 2002 03:24:12 PM
Old 01-03-2002
Hi Nick,

It appears you are trying to set up a Sun
box as a Domain Name Server (if I read you
correctly). First, I'm not sure what you mean
by "compiling" the hosts file since that is
just a text file used to map hostnames and IP
addresses. An error message from "make" would
not be suprising since the "hosts" file is not
a makefile.

DNS however is much more complex
than that. I would recommend you pick up a
book called "DNS and BIND", O'Reilly Publishing,
ISBN: 1-56592-512-2

It's a great book and I'm sure it will help you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

QNX host cannot ping SCO host, vice versa

The problem I am facing now is that the QNX host could not ping the SCO host and vice versa. They are in the same domain, ie, 172.20.3.xx. As I am very new to Unix, I guess I must have missed out some important steps. Pls help... Thanx alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavon
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How to delete the files from local host to remote host

Hi all, i am copying .gz files from production server to development server using "scp" command.my requirement is after copying .gz files i want to delete old .gz files(two days back) in development server from production server. like this way i need to delelte .log ,.z and .dmp files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
3 Replies

3. Solaris

unable to ping a host in another domain

Hello I have a server in it.siroe.com I added it.siroe.com in /etc/resolv.conf. I still can't ping the server. any service to restart here? any other file to edit? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to: Linux BOX in Windows Domain (w/out joining the domain)

Dear Expert, i have linux box that is running in the windows domain, BUT did not being a member of the domain. as I am not the System Administrator so I have no control on the server in the network, such as modify dns entry , add the linux box in AD and domain record and so on that relevant. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands to remote host from centralized host

Gurus/Experts We have a centralized UNIX/Solaris server from where we can actually ssh to all other UNIX/Solaris servers...I need to write a script that reside on this centerlized server and do FileSystem monitoring (basically run df -h or -k) of other remote servers and then send an email to me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum.suri
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add Linux host to Windows domain

Hi, I want to know the commands for adding a linux host to windows active directory domain. Request you to please help. Thanks & Regards Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Mail issue solution query- host map: lookup (domain): deferred

Hi all I had a mail issue earlier today where I was not receiving any emails from the servers of one of our clients. The mail queue just showed this: -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient----------- o8S7eSpp020274* 5858 Tue Sep 28 10:42... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer large number of files host to host

Hello.... I have two servers, one has an empty / and the other has a subdirectory with a large number (4 gig) with many, many files. I need a way to transfer the files en masse from the server with the large number of files to the one that is essentially blank. I don't have space on the used... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: blaine.miller
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing File For Domain Name

I was trying to setup some conficker monitoring for my network I took the list from http://www.epicwinrar.com/conficker/domains.txtThe text file format containing Variant, Date, Index, Hostname A, 10/01/2008, 0, kuwzclqpw.com A, 10/01/2008, 1, hspch.net A, 10/01/2008, 2, sumkuezgsq.info A,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bEgUnDaL
5 Replies
RARPD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  RARPD(8)

NAME
rarpd - reverse address resolution protocol daemon SYNOPSIS
rarpd [-d] DESCRIPTION
Rarpd listens on the ethernet for broadcast packets asking for reverse address resolution. These packets are sent by hosts at boot time to find out their IP address. Rarpd looks up the six octet ethernet number in the /etc/ethers file finding a host name. This name is trans- lated to the IP address of the host by a DNS lookup. The IP address is then sent to the host. Before rarpd can start its service it first finds out what the IP addresses of the ethernets are. It will look through /etc/ethers to map the ethernet addresses to host names. It then uses /etc/hosts to map the host names to IP addresses. If this lookup fails then several RARP requests are broadcasted in the hope that some RARP server knows the addresses. The IP addresses are eventually set in the same way as ifconfig(8). (The address is not changed if already set with ifconfig.) Note that the host names in the ethers and hosts files must match exactly. The DNS can not be used yet, so a simple name can't be translated to a fully qualified name. Rarpd exits after startup if there are no active ethernets, or if there is no ethers file. Warning! Sun diskless workstations assume that the first RARP server that answers is the host they are to boot from. For this to work all other Sun RARP servers delay their answer if they are not also the requestors boot server. The Minix rarpd does not have this kludge so it will happily engage the Sun boot server to see who can answer the client first. Unless your Minix host can actually serve a Sun diskless client, it is better not to list any more hosts in the ethers file than necessary. OPTIONS
-d Turns on debugging messages. Debugging can also be turned on at runtime by sending signal SIGUSR1 or turned off with SIGUSR2. SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8), ethers(5), hosts(5), set_net_default(8), boot(8), inetd(8), irdpd(8), nonamed(8). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) RARPD(8)