Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix shell account
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix shell account Post 1250 by 98_1LE on Tuesday 20th of February 2001 09:06:20 AM
Old 02-20-2001
Do you know what particular OS they are running? Anyway, to determine how many processes you have running total, use;
ps -elf | grep <your_login> | wc -l

You will have to subtract one for the command you just executed which ended when it displays back a number.

To determine the process ID (PID) associated with your login, use;
ps

The output should look like;
PID TTY TIME CMD
8174 pts/68 0:00 bash
878 pts/59 0:00 some_command

If I wanted to end "some_command", I would type;
kill 878

Then rereun ps. If it is still running (which is possible), use;
kill -9 878

To log out and make sure all of your processes are not running, use;
kill -1 -1

The reason I asked which OS they were running ia that Solaris 7-8 have a pgrep/pkill command. This allows you to search for a process by name directly, ie;
pkill some_command

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

purchasing a unix account

i just want to know if there is any place that i can purchase a unix account to use for life. i don't like the hassle of changing my email address every time i enter a new university/workplace, and i'd like some place to store files that i can access around the world. thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1515
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I get a Free Shell Account?

I am new to UNIX and am interested to practice on a Shell account with some basic Unix installed, does anyone know of a free or cheap shell account? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shneurg
4 Replies

3. AIX

AIX shell account

I am just wondering if there is a way I can obtain a free shell account for an AIX server that I can make test drive on it. I tried google search and ibm's web site but couldn't find anything.. regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Account

What is the command if i want to view the script of the user being executed. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaibiganmi
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to list shell of account?

Hello. I have been trying to figure out something very simple that I know I've done before; which is list the shell of a specific account. In this case it is the account: "news". I know how to change the shell using chsh, just not list it. I want output like "/bin/sh" only. Any thoughts or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free shell account for UNIX.

Hi I want to practice UNIX on my computer. I need a free shell account.. tcsh - in specific .. anyone who can help? thanks in advance I googled it on the web- but was unable to download.. after clicking on each link.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
8 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Cant close UNIX.com account

Hi, Can someone point me in the direction of the "close account" or "delete account" page, as i no longer want my account. I have sent 2 messages to the webmaster who has just ignored my message, and there is no advice in the faq and googling brings no answer. I want to remove my account... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fanny Zoddar
1 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHSH(1)