Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can I improve this script ??? Post 12221 by Perderabo on Friday 21st of December 2001 10:09:48 AM
Old 12-21-2001
As posted, this will not run. I suspect that you left out a big chunk of code from the middle as posted. But I'll do my best with what I've got.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you might send out a mail message per file system that is too full. You don't want to do that.

The shell can split fields for you. You should let it. This is much faster than using cut processes. The shell can also strip characters from either end of a variable. To strip a trailing % from a variable, we can do ${var%%%}.

So the inner loop would look like:
Code:
toobig=0
while read xmnt x2 x3 x4 x5 xspc ; do
      xspc=${xspc%%%}
      if [ $xspc -ge $xdfThold ] ; then
           ((toobig=toobig+1))
      fi
done

if [ $toobig -gt 0 ] ; then
    mail -s "$xemailsub" $xemail < $xdfdir$2$1/$2$3\_df
fi

Except use better names for the fields.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any way to improve performance of this script

I have a data file of 2 gig I need to do all these, but its taking hours, any where i can improve performance, thanks a lot #!/usr/bin/ksh echo TIMESTAMP="$(date +'_%y-%m-%d.%H-%M-%S')" function showHelp { cat << EOF >&2 syntax extreme.sh FILENAME Specify filename to parse EOF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirababu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve the performance of a shell script

Hi Friends, I wrote the below shell script to generate a report on alert messages recieved on a day. But i for processing around 4500 lines (alerts) the script is taking aorund 30 minutes to process. Please help me to make it faster and improve the performace of the script. i would be very... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to improve the performance of script

Hi All, I have written a script as follows which is taking lot of time in executing/searching only 3500 records taken as input from one file in log file of 12 GB Approximately. Working of script is read the csv file as an input having 2 arguments which are transaction_id,mobile_number and search... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[please] improve my shell/SQL*Plus script

Hi We generate with PL/SQL *.csv files, archive them and mail to the customer. Here is my script (Solaris 10, ksh): #!/bin/ksh # Unix Shell Script Structure for PL/SQL queries with SQL*Plus . ~/.profile scriptdir=/opt/ora/scripts queryname1=example... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Var Check Script (Help improve if possible)

I am working on a script to check the var on all of my systems. Can someone help me fix it to work better or give me suggestions. #!/bin/ksh IN=/path/to/list_of_workstations.txt while read hostnames do if ping $hostnames 1 | grep alive > /dev/null then percent=`ssh -q... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whotippedmycow
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to improve the performance of this script?

Hi , i wrote a script to convert dates to the formate i want .it works fine but the conversion is tkaing lot of time . Can some one help me tweek this script #!/bin/bash file=$1 ofile=$2 cp $file $ofile mydates=$(grep -Po '+/+/+' $ofile) # gets 8/1/13 mydates=$(echo "$mydates" | sort |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve sftp script

Dear all, I have written two scripts to transfer files to another server outside the company. One is a batch script , and the other script calls the batch script, send the files and archive the file sent. The problem is, that I want to get the list of files which have been uploaded the the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to improve an script?

Gents. I have 2 different scripts for the same purpose: raw2csv_1 Script raw2csv_1 finish the process in less that 1 minute raw2csv_2 Script raw2csv_2 finish the process in more that 6 minutes. Can you please check if there is any option to improve the raw2csv_2. To finish the job... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve script and get new output file

Gents, Using the following script, I got the changes as desired in the output file called (spread_2611.x01.new). Complete file as input (spread_2611.x01). Can you please have a look to my script and improve it please. :b: Also I would like to I get a additional selecting only the records... (21 Replies)
21 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve script

Gents, Is there the possibility to improve this script to be able to have same output information. I did this script, but I believe there is a very short code to get same output here my script awk -F, '{if($10>0 && $10<=15) print $6}' tmp1 | sort -k1n | awk '{a++} END { for (n in a )... (23 Replies)
23 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)