Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sending messages through terminal Post 12169 by korupt on Thursday 20th of December 2001 01:15:38 PM
Old 12-20-2001
can you only send write messages from root?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sending Finder Messages/Alerts in UNIX

I recall a UNIX command and remember actually using it where you could send finder alerts/messages to the Finder on the machine you were on or use ssh so as to send the alerts/messages to another machine on the network. You could also send Finder Alerts/Messages that had a reply field in the sense... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peaves
0 Replies

2. Programming

Sending INtr key for remote terminal

Hi folks, Just wondering if anyone knows how to send intr/break key to remote tty (shell), a simple example would be great! thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending a null character to a terminal

I'm testing out some ESMTP AUTH stuff, and it requires that the username and password be on the same line separated by a null character. Does anyone know how to echo the ASCII null character? Thanks, Alex (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending message to terminal

hi all i have script #!/bin/bash cd /usr3/prod grep ERROR /usr3/prod/ind.log > /usr3/prod/ind_err.log if test -s /usr3/prod/ind_err.log then echo "error during process" else echo "process succeed" fi i want that this message(echo) will be display one time at the top of the screen... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sending messages to Phone

Hi experts, I am using Linux 2.6.9. My requirement is I want to send a message to the phone once my scheduled backup is complete. I don't know whether it's possible or not but I heard it can be done but don't know how. Can comebody help me on this? Thanks in advance. Gary (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Sending Messages to Users

How can I send messages to users who are logged in unto the server with Solaris 9 OS without going into the application? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Sending encrypted messages (ssh or scp)

1. we are a group a students and we need a help for sending encrypted messages with unix (ssh or scp) 2. we tried to use ssh and scp protocol but we didn't manage to send the message because we don't know the correct syntax of the command and we are asked a password and we don't know which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supervavul
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending command from one terminal to another.

Hello, I am running a program in a terminal. this program is just printing random words. I can change the color of each word by entering the first character of the color(for example G for Green). I want to write a bash code that runs in a different terminal and sends different characters to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alireza6485
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending Mail in OS X Terminal

Hi All! I would like your assistance with an issue that I have been having with OS X (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) and sending mail through the Terminal. I had been trying to send mail from Terminal to my GMail account from my home, where I have a Verizon DSL Internet connection routed through a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: danielsutton
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

Debug3 messages throw in my terminal

OS: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 shell : /sbin/sh Messages like "debug3: Wrote 48 bytes for a total of 15837" are thrown in my terminal after each key stroke. If I try to type a command such message appears after each character I type. If I simply press enter messages like below appear. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: black_fender
1 Replies
rwhod(1M)																 rwhod(1M)

NAME
rwhod - system status server SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is the server that maintains the database used by and (see rwho(1) and ruptime(1)). sends status information to and receives status infor- mation from other nodes on the local network that are running is started at system boot time if the RWHOD variable is set to 1 in the file As an information sender, it periodically queries the state of the system and constructs status messages that are broadcast on a network. As an information receiver, it listens for other servers' status messages, validates them, then records them in a collection of files located in the directory. By default, both sends and receives information. also supports the following options: Configures server to be an information sender only. Configures server to be an information receiver only. Status messages are generated approximately once every three minutes. transmits and receives messages at the port indicated in the service specification (see services(4)). The messages sent and received, are of the form: All fields are converted to network byte order before transmission. System load averages are calculated from the number of jobs in the run queue over the last 1-, 5- and 15-minute intervals. The host name included is the one returned by the system call (see gethostname(2)). The array at the end of the message contains information about the users logged in on the sending machine. This information includes the contents of the entry for each non-idle terminal line and a value indicating the time since a character was last received on the terminal line (see utmp(4)). discards received messages if they did originate at a server's port, or if the host's name, as specified in the message, contains any unprintable ASCII characters. Valid messages received by are placed in files named in the directory. These files contain only the most recent message in the format described above. WARNINGS
does not relay status information between networks. Users often incorrectly interpret the server dying as a machine going down. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Information about other machines. SEE ALSO
rwho(1), ruptime(1), gethostname(2), services(4), utmp(4). rwhod(1M)