Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cleaning text files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cleaning text files Post 12140 by ferretman on Thursday 20th of December 2001 03:19:39 AM
Old 12-20-2001
VI

I am using VI

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

doing some spring cleaning....

USERS="me you jim joe sue" for user in ${USERS}; do rmuser -p $user usrdir=`cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` rm -fr `cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` echo Deleting: $user '\t' REMOVING: $usrdir done This is for AIX ONLY!!! but easily ported to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep multiple text files in folder into 1 text file?

How do I use the grep command to take mutiple text files in a folder and make one huge text file out of them. I'm using Mac OS X and can not find a text tool that does it so I figured I'd resort to the BSD Unix CLI for a solution... there are 5,300 files that I want to write to one huge file so... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coppertone
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cleaning log files

Say I have a log file called is there a way to clean out certain files in this log by or when I go to VI this file it tells me and I am guessing this means the file has become to large to append with VI so I was wondering if there was command with some argument to clean this out? Thanks ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleaning the content of log files

Hi, I am facing problems while trying to clean a log file(Means making its file Size zero). I am not the owner of this file. From the command line, I can clean it by becoming a Sudo. (">logfilename"). I want to automate it using perl. But inside a script, sudo somehow doesnt seem to work. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cleaning core files

Hello *! Just a short question. Where on the system i can find core files. I have one SUN server (Solaris 8) and from time to time I must clean core files on it. But i am not sure where i can find those files. Thank you in advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghost01
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File cleaning

HI , I am getting the source data as below. Source Data CDR_Data,,,,, F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6 5,5,6,7,8,7 6,6,g,,, 7,7,76,,, 8,8,gt,,, 9,9,df ,d,d,d ,,,,, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wangkc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cleaning the file

Hi, I have a file with multiple rows. each row has 8 columns. Column 8 has entries separated by commas. I want to exclude all the rows in which column 8 has more than 3 commas. 1234#0/1 - ABC_1234 3 ATGCATGCATGC HHHIIIGIHVF 1 49:T>C,60:T>C,78:C>A,76:G>T,65:T>G Thanks, Diya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cleaning up files using find...

I am trying to cleanup a directory with around 4000 files, and using the below command to delete all .gz files older than 60 days, I am having the same issue of arguments being too long. is there a way i can use the same command to do what I intend to do. find /opt/et/logs/Archive/*.log.*.gz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shellslave
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text between regexps and write into files based on a field in the text

Hi, I have a huge file that has data something like shown below: huge_file.txt start regexp Name=Name1 Title=Analyst Address=Address1 Department=Finance end regexp some text some text start regexp Name=Name2 Title=Controller Address=Address2 Department=Finance end regexp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r3d3
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

OCR text that needs cleaning

Hi, I have OCR'ed text that needs cleaning. Lines are delimited by parts of speech (POS), for example, each line will have either an adj. OR s. f. OR s. m. etc I need to uppercase all text before the POS but all text within parentheses to be lowercase Text after (and including) the POS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: safran
6 Replies
MESG(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (or do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [option] [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a user to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with standard error output. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. ARGUMENTS
n Disallow messages. y Allow messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg shows the current message status on standard error output. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Explain what is being done. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
login(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 MESG(1)