Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Viewer - NO FTP!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Viewer - NO FTP! Post 1186 by ajaco on Wednesday 14th of February 2001 02:59:24 PM
Old 02-14-2001
Java

Hi Guys!

We have a RISC 6000 with an OS of AIX UNIX 4.3.2
We have several PCs with WIn 95 that can FTP files to-from the RISC using WSFTP_LE by IPSWITCH. Great product!

However, we have several users that we want to have file VIEWING ONLY capabilities without file transfer options. Too much power, too little skills.

Does anybody know of a product that allows ASCII file VIEWING ONLY without the ability to transfer back to the RISC?

Or... A utility that will allow users to view files and us to configure the software and disable FTP?
Any help would be appreciated.
Al J

[Edited by ajaco on 02-14-2001 at 03:36 PM]

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script to FTP file to UNIX - Solaris

Hello, A couple of times per week, i receive emails notifications when files are available for processing. Currently i read these eamails with a java program and store the attachement on my C: drive and would now like to generate a PC script to send this file name up to UNIX-Solaris and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to put file from one ftp to another ftp location

hi, I have one file located in ftp.I want to place that file in different ftp location. Up to now i am doing it manually using get command and copying that file in to my local system and then putting that file in different ftp using put command. now i want to automate that using shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasee
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using FTP to check whether file is completely FTP... plz find the description below

Hi, We have some clients who will place huge files in to one of the remote server. And the shell script written in our local server to retrieve client files (using FTP) placed on one of the remote server of ours by clients. My question Is there any FTP command/script to check from my local... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmsrao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting File from FTP and Transferring File to FTP

Hi, I am getting error when i am deleting file from FTP and also transferring file from local to FTP server. I am getting 221 error. I am getting this error some time only. Some time the existing file from FTP is deleted and file from local directory is transferred to FTP server. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to rename file in ftp server .Net:FTP perl

Hello All, I am trying to connect to ftp server and get the files. Also i need to rename the file in other ftp dir. rename method is not allowing me to rename the file in other dir. When i tried copy command by using net::FTP:FILE then perl says it is not installed. Can some body help me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Play STRG - E-Viewer Recorded Stream file

I have got a .strg file, which I cannot open. I tried NMS Player from Novus, but It can't handle STRG files. How can I play these recordings? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kovacsdev
1 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)