Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed + new line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed + new line Post 11827 by kenwolff on Wednesday 12th of December 2001 04:45:24 PM
Old 12-12-2001
sed + new line

I'd like to create a new line using sed. For example, if a file contains one line:
abc

I want the result of sed to be two lines:
abc
def

Does anyone know how to do this? sed "s/abc/&/g" gets the first line, and I know there's some way to embed a carriage return after that. Have tried "\n" and "\\n" without success. Would be grateful for any suggestions.

BTW, this is a simplistic example. In reality I'm trying to modify one line out of an 80+ line file.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line

hello experts, I need a sed command that remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line. any suggestions? Thanks you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

single line input to multiple line output with sed

hey gents, I'm working on something that will use snmpwalk to query the devices on my network and retreive the device name, device IP, device model and device serial. I'm using Nmap for the enumeration and sed to clean up the results for use by snmpwalk. Once i get all the data organized I'm... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitch
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Comparing Parenthesized Values In Previous Line To Current Line

I am trying to delete lines in archived Apache httpd logs Each line has the pattern: <ip-address> - - <date-time> <document-request-URL> <http-response> <size-of-req'd-doc> <referring-document-URL> This pattern is shown in the example of 6 lines from the log in the code box below. These 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Proteomist
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/grep: check if line exists, if not add line?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the following as I want to use multiple commands to search thousands of files. is there a way to speed things up? Example I want to search a bunch of files for a specific line, if this line already exists do nothing, if it doesn't exist add it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
4 Replies
subst(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 subst(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- | fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command | substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even | when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. | If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- | tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- | tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for | that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is | returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. | In this way, all exceptional return codes are ``caught'' by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete | successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns ``xyz {44}'', not ``xyz {$a}'' and the script | set a "p} q {r" | subst {xyz {$a}} | return ``xyz {p} q {r}'', not ``xyz {p} q {r}''. | When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. | set a 44 | subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} | returns ``$a 44'', not ``$a $a''. Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to | retrieve the value of the variable. | proc b {} {return c} | array set a {c c [b] tricky} | subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} | returns ``[b] c'', not ``[b] tricky''. | The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest | of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script | subst {abc,[break],def} | returns ``abc,'', not ``abc,,def'' and the script | subst {abc,[continue;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. | Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value | subst {abc,[return foo;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def'' and | subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr 1+2],def} | also returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. SEE ALSO
Tcl(1T), eval(1T), break(1T), continue(1T) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 7.4 subst(1T)