Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How is system load determined? Post 11756 by Neo on Tuesday 11th of December 2001 06:40:29 PM
Old 12-11-2001
Quote:
System Load Average (SLA). It is important to note that the SLA can only be used as a rough indicator as it does not take scheduling priority into account . It also counts as runnable all jobs waiting for disk I/O, including NFS I/O. However, uptime is a good place to start when trying to determine whether a bottleneck is CPU or I/O based.
The extract above is from this paper..... CLICK HERE.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

determining the load on a system

I know that top reports the load, but what other command line utility will display the load on a system running Solaris 2.6? Thanks, Chuck (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

2. Debian

system load tool

hi. i'm searching for a tool that shows the system load of dual-box. something like "top", but with a column for each cpu and (optionally) memory usage shown in kb. it needs to be a command line tool because the box is a server and so it has no xserver running. i've already searched google,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikester
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

cannot load any operating system

I've tried installing Linux (SuSE because it's the easiest disc I had on hand) and Windows, and neither can boot. The specific problems are below. With Linux: During the installation, I get error message on most of the packages, even though I left all of them up to the default, and it sais... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Derrek
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in wrting Load Script for a Load-Resume type of load.

hi all need your help. I am wrting a script that will load data into the table. then on another load will append the data into the existing table. Regards Ankit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankitgupta
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

HP-UX File System device load

Hi Guys, I am new to HP-UX system, can someone please let me know which file or what process is require to load all the devices when the system boot up. Currently I am having a few issue when starting the system it does not load all the device. Cheers, (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fkaba81
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's a high load for my system?

I'm not sure if this belong in dummies or advanced so I made my best guess. Go easy on me if I get it wrong. I'm trying to determine what a high load for my system is. I run a php/mysql web server with a dedicated host. The host has a Intel Xeon 3110 (Dual Core) processor. Our load seems to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanguard
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

System Health - Cpu, Load, IO Monitor

hello there, can someone please tell me the commands that makes sense, from a production point of view, to be used to make sure CPU, LOAD or IO usages on a Linux or Solaris server isn't too high? I'm aware of vmstat, iostat, sar. But i seriously need real world advice as to what fields in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

SNMP responses failing under high system load

Greetings, I've got a Zenoss v2.5 server monitoring a large video encoding farm. Needless to say, these systems are under high bandwidth and CPU utilization the majority of the time. What I'm running into is that, occasionally, these systems will fail to respond to a standard SNMP request,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Array name determined at runtime

I'm working on a ksh script and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to access an array by a variable that is determined at runtime? I have created a test example below, but essentially I will have declared and populated an array (see colorArray below). What I'd like to do is access... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bs103950
9 Replies
TLOAD(1)							Linux User's Manual							  TLOAD(1)

NAME
tload - graphic representation of system load average SYNOPSIS
tload [-V] [-s scale] [ -d delay ] [tty] DESCRIPTION
tload prints a graph of the current system load average to the specified tty (or the tty of the tload process if none is specified). Options The -s scale option allows a vertical scale to be specified for the display (in characters between graph ticks); thus, a smaller value rep- resents a larger scale, and vice versa. The -d delay sets the delay between graph updates in seconds. FILES
/proc/loadavg load average information SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), uptime(1), w(1) BUGS
The -d delay option sets the time argument for an alarm(2); if -d 0 is specified, the alarm is set to 0, which will never send the SIGALRM and update the display. AUTHORS
Branko Lankester, David Engel <david@ods.com>, and Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com>. Please send bug reports to <albert@users.sf.net> Cohesive Systems 20 Mar 1993 TLOAD(1)