Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Samba Over WAN
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Samba Over WAN Post 11753 by cybler on Tuesday 11th of December 2001 06:16:00 PM
Old 12-11-2001
Samba Over WAN

Hi, I recently setup Samba on my home network. It's working fine there and I can use all the shares normally.
What I would like to do now is be able to use those shares on my PC at work, or actually on any computer connected to the Internet.
My OS is SuSE 7.3 and I think I'm running Samba 2.0. I've opened ports 137-139 on my router.
I can ping the server, telnet to it, FTP to it and a number of other things, but I can't connect to a Samba share.
Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can someone please give me information about WAN and LAN

I just need to know the important concepts. I tried searching on the internet for information about this but got bombarded with too many un-neccessary details I find confusing and helpless. I just need to know WAN and LAN concerning how to monitor them and fix or (troubleshoot) basic problems (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. Solaris

accessing solaris 8 over WAN

We can access our solaris 8 from our LAN . However when we try to access the same over our WAN , it is not able to ping the server . /etc/hosts has entries for our DNS server. Another thing all WAN clients are Windows 2000 workstations . Here is the output netstat -nr Routing Table: IPv4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Accessing Solaris 8 over WAN

We can access our solaris 8 from our LAN . However when we try to access the same over our WAN , it is not able to ping the server . /etc/hosts has entries for our DNS server. Another thing all WAN clients are Windows 2000 workstations . Here is the output netstat -nr Routing Table: IPv4... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
7 Replies

4. IP Networking

Access samba over wan

How do I access a samba server over a wan with routers used as the gateways between the lans (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ogah
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 installation over WAN using jumpstart

I am trying to install Solaris 10 OS using jumpstart over WAN. I have configured the jumpstart server with apache server and created all the necessary configurations and files. When i WAN boot my target machine, it gets booted using wanboot, it downloads the miniroot from the jumpstart server, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Creating WAN boot Server help

I have a Jumpstart server. It does not have Apache on there. I have not found a step by step guide on how to install a WAN boot server. I already have all my custom files from my Jumpstart Server and the flash as well. I just want to test it over the WAN and see if I can get it to work. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Multiple wan connection on single PC

Hi All Is it possible to be connected to a corporate lan/wan through the on-baord nic, and also be connected to mobile wan through a tethered smartphone? Ideally I'd like to be able to use my own smartphone using a browser like chrome (private browsing) while still being able to use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

2 WAN connections on 1 switch/network

I want to know potential problems with the following scenario OR if it is an ok way to have my network setup: I have 2 WAN connections to the internet. I have each WAN connection plugged into its own router. Router DD-WRT is gateway for servers (192.0.10.50). Router Tomato is gateway for pc's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herot
1 Replies

9. Solaris

samba issue: one samba share without password prompting and the others with.

Hi All, I've been trying to configure samba on Solaris 10 to allow me to have one share that is open and writable to all users and have the rest of my shares password protected by a generic account. If I set my security to user, my secured shares work just fine and prompt accordingly, but when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
0 Replies
VFS_AUDIT(8)						    System Administration tools 					      VFS_AUDIT(8)

NAME
vfs_audit - record selected Samba VFS operations in the system log SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = audit DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The vfs_audit VFS module records selected client operations to the system log using syslog(3). The following Samba VFS operations are recorded: connect disconnect opendir mkdir rmdir open close rename unlink chmod fchmod chmod_acl fchmod_acl This module is stackable. OPTIONS
audit:facility = FACILITY Log messages to the named syslog(3) facility. audit:priority = PRIORITY Log messages with the named syslog(3) priority. EXAMPLES
Log operations on all shares using the LOCAL1 facility and NOTICE priority: [global] vfs objects = audit audit:facility = LOCAL1 audit:priority = NOTICE VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.0.25 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 VFS_AUDIT(8)