Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Automatic Tape Back-up under UNIX Post 11741 by shimb0 on Tuesday 11th of December 2001 04:31:31 PM
Old 12-11-2001
Legato is another good backup solution

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar to tape and back

Howdy, I'm trying to tar some directories to tape and then extract them from tape on another machine. I was hoping someone could help me with the syntax of the tar commands. Both machines are running Solaris 8. Need to get all files and directories under the following: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmetal
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic House keeping in UNIX

I have a directory called 'test' which contains many junk files. I want to automate the clean-up task by removing all files which are older than one month. What would be the best option? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: augustinep
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix automatic file transfer

Hello, I am a beginner with korn shell scripting. I have got a text file that gets produced every night and I need to transfer it to a windows shared area. Is there any command line script (e.g FTP) that I could use to transfer the file automatically without manual intervention everyday? Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tagem
4 Replies

4. SCO

back-up drive : tape error

i have an ibm machine with dds4 drive running sco. i bought new hp dds4 tape for my back-up. the new tapes are not being read by the system, it says tape error, no such device. i've already clean the drive several times but still the same error occur. i've tried to use the same tape on our windows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yackim
3 Replies

5. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Inquiry for Automatic Sending

Hi Everyone! I'm new with UNIX,so, sorry if this question seems really dumb.:( Anyway, I'd just like if it's possible to automatically inform someone (via mail or pop-up box or something) that a file has been recently uploaded/received to the UNIX box? If it is, any advice on how to get that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jam04
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Veritas Cluster automatic fail-back option on Solaris

Hi - Please help me to understand the Veritas Cluster fail-over capability. We configured oracle database file system on veritas cluster file system and it is automatically failing-over from node 1 to node 2. Does Veritas cluster softward have any option to fail-back from node 2 to node 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mansoor8810
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying tape-to-tape on UNIX

I am using a 4mm tape to backup my Unix system. However, I wanted to make a copy all of the files and archive headers (or just the archive headers if that's possible) created on one of my tapes to another 4mm tape. I only have one tape drive. Is there a command that will complete such task? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acoco
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Automatic script to change the UNIX Password

Hi, we have around 50 users and every month we need to change the password manually once its expire. do we have any script to change the password automatically. OS -HP-UX Thanks in advance.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: periyasamycse
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

Bring tape paths back up in Redhat 5.4

Hi Folks, Looking for some assistance here on a Dell server connected to a Dell tape robot with Redhat 5.4 and Netbackup 6.5. Netbackup thinks the tapes are all present and working, but they are not - we lost the internal encryption keys earlier but think that they are reinstated as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
0 Replies
FMS(8)							       AFS Command Reference							    FMS(8)

NAME
fms - Determine a tape's capacity and a tape device's filemark size SYNOPSIS
fms -tape <tape special file> [-help] fms -t <tape special file> [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fms command determines the capacity of the tape currently in the tape device identified by the -tape argument, along with the size of the filemark for the device. The filemark is also referred to as the device's end-of-file (EOF) marker, and can differ for each combination of tape and tape device. As the Tape Coordinator writes a dump, it writes a filemark between the data included from each volume and also tracks the amount of space left before the end of the tape (EOT). For some tape devices, the filemark is large enough (multiple megabytes) that failure to consider it leads the Tape Coordinator significantly to overestimate the available space. The intended use of this command is to determine tape capacity and filemark size values that can be specified in a tape device's entry in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file. For certain types of tape drives, the Tape Coordinator operates more efficiently when the tapeconfig file lists accurate values. For further discussion, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter on configuring the Backup System. Insert a tape in the drive before issuing this command. CAUTIONS
Do not use this command on compressing tape devices in compression mode or with tape devices that handle tapes of multigigabyte (or multiterabyte) capacity. It does not produce accurate results in those cases. For alternate suggestions on the values to record in the tapeconfig file for compressing drives, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter on configuring the Backup System. Running the command completely overwrites the tape, so use a blank one or one that can be recycled. Because it writes filemarks to the complete length of the tape, the command can take from several hours to more than a day to complete. OPTIONS
-tape <tape special file> Specifies the UNIX device name of the tape device for which to determine filemark size and the capacity of the tape it currently contains. The format varies on different system types, but usually begins with /dev; an example is /dev/sd0a. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The command generates output both on the standard output stream and in the fms.log file that it creates in the current working directory. The output reports the capacity of the tape in the device and the device's filemark size. The first few lines of output include status information about the execution of the command, including such information as the number of blocks and the number of file marks written to the tape by the command. The last two lines of both screen and file output provide the following information: o "Tape capacity is number bytes": specifies the size, in bytes, of the tape in the device. o "File marks are number bytes": specifies the device's filemark size in bytes. The following message indicates that the fms command interpreter cannot access the tape device. The command halts. Can't open tape drive I<device> The following message indicates that the command interpreter cannot create the fms.log log file. Again, the command halts. Can't open log file EXAMPLES
The following command illustrates the output for the device called /dev/rmt1h: % fms /dev/rmt1h wrote block: 130408 Finished data capacity test - rewinding wrote 1109 blocks, 1109 file marks Finished file mark test Tape capacity is 2136604672 bytes File marks are 1910205 bytes The following appears in the fms.log file: fms test started wrote 9230 blocks Finished file mark test Tape capacity is 151224320 bytes File marks are 2375680 bytes PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be able to insert and write to files in the currently working directory, if the fms.log file does not already exist. If it already exists, the issuer need only be able to write to it. SEE ALSO
fms.log(5), tapeconfig(5) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FMS(8)