Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Severity Level in syslog.conf Post 11738 by Neo on Tuesday 11th of December 2001 03:50:29 PM
Old 12-11-2001
As I recall, telnetd and in.telnetd (your example) uses /bin/login to manage user logins. There is a configuration file for /bin/login called login.defs :

Quote:

NAME
/etc/login.defs - Login configuration

DESCRIPTION
The /etc/login.defs file defines the site-specific config-
uration for the shadow login suite. This file is
required. Absence of this file will not prevent system
operation, but will probably result in undesirable opera-
tion.

This file is a readable text file, each line of the file
describing one configuration parameter. The lines consist
of a configuration name and value, seperated by whites-
pace. Blank lines and comment lines are ignored. Com-
ments are introduced with a `#' pound sign and the pound
sign must be the first non-white character of the line.

Parameter values may be of four types: strings, booleans,
numbers, and long numbers. A string is comprised of any
printable characters. A boolean should be either the
and in the man page, the configuration for the logging behavior of /bin/login is configured (just a few examples):

Quote:
FAILLOG_ENAB (boolean)
If yes then login failures will be accumulated in
/var/log/faillog in a faillog(8) format.

FAIL_DELAY (number)
Delay time in seconds after each failed login
attempt.
Does this help, or were you looking for more generic syslog.conf information not related to login and telnetd?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

syslog.conf

Hi all I have a RedHat Linux AS2.1 server that keep crashing/rebooting and there are no messages in the /var/log/messages file pointing to any problems. I had a look at the /etc/syslog.conf file to see what gets logged to /var/log/messages, but I don't know what else to add. Can anyone tell me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Event Monitor notification : Severity Serious : what does that mean ???

Hi I received this mail (root) on my hp-ux 11.00. >------------ Event Monitoring Service Event Notification ------------< Notification Time: Thu Mar 22 08:41:28 2007 hostname sent Event Monitor notification information: /storage/events/disks/default/0_0_1_1.0.0 is >= 3. Its current value... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
6 Replies

3. Linux

SYSLOG.CONF another port

Hi everybody, i have a little problem... I have two server srv01 and srv02. srv02 have a syslogd server onboard and listen on 515... not on 514 (it's busy). How i configure the syslog.conf of srv01 for send logs on srv02:515 ??? Now i have on srv01: *.* @srv02 if i write: *.* ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
0 Replies

4. Solaris

syslog-ng.conf

Has anyone here configured a central syslog server using syslog-ng ? I have set one up and I'm trying to tune the syslog-ng.conf file, both for the server and the client. I have found lots of linux example files, but not much on Solaris which is slightly different. So if you have a Solaris... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Want to know about a entry in syslog.conf

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to know about the below entry in syslog.conf in Solaris 10: kern.notice @destserver Now the log will be redirected to destserver. But I want to know the location on the destserver where this log will be thrown. Thanks in Advance, Deepak (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modifying syslog.conf

I have a RHEL box that I want to be the loghost for all of the other systems on my network and have set up a /logs partitions to hold all of the logs. I've also created a file called current.log that will contain daily logs and created it using the following command: cp /dev/null current.log. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

syslog.conf

How can i configure messages with warn priority to be logged in /var/log/mywarnings.log ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g0dlik3
1 Replies

8. Solaris

best configuration for syslog.conf

I would like to configure the syslog.conf to have a good monitoring information about my system. do you have any idea about best configuration from your experience in your Data Centers BR, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Configuring syslog.conf

Hi, I would like to configure syslog linux client, syslog server is windows server. so adding on linux client in /etc/syslog.conf @hostname will work in the place of directory location. example of /etc/syslog.conf # Log all kernel messages to the console. # Logging much else clutters up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies
warn.conf(4)							   File Formats 						      warn.conf(4)

NAME
warn.conf - Kerberos warning configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/krb5/warn.conf DESCRIPTION
The warn.conf file contains configuration information specifying how users will be warned by the ktkt_warnd daemon about ticket expiration on a Kerberos client. Credential expiration warnings are sent, by means of syslog, to auth.notice. All other warning messages are sent to daemon.notice. Each Kerberos client host must have a warn.conf file in order for users on that host to get Kerberos warnings from the client. Entries in the warn.conf file must have the following format: principal syslog | terminal | mail time [email_address] principal Specifies the principal name to be warned. The asterisk (*) wildcard can be used to specify groups of principals. syslog Sends the warnings to the system's syslog. Depending on the /etc/syslog.conf file, syslog entries are written to the /var/adm/messages file and/or displayed on the terminal. terminal Sends the warnings to display on the terminal. mail Sends the warnings as email to the address specified by email_address. time Specifies how much time before the TGT expires when a warning should be sent. The default time value is seconds, but you can specify h (hours) and m (minutes) after the number to specify other time values. email_address Specifies the email address at which to send the warnings. This field must be specified only with the mail field. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Specifying warnings The following warn.conf entry * syslog 5m specifies that warnings will be sent to the syslog five minutes before the expiration of the TGT for all principals. The form of the mes- sage is: jdb@ACME.COM: your kerberos credentials expire in 5 minutes FILES
/usr/lib/krb5/ktkt_warnd Kerberos warning daemon SEE ALSO
ktkt_warnd(1M), syslog.conf(4), SEAM(5) SunOS 5.10 22 Apr 2003 warn.conf(4)