Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Severity Level in syslog.conf Post 11729 by doeboy on Tuesday 11th of December 2001 01:23:28 PM
Old 12-11-2001
I'm not positive, but I don't think the standard telnet daemon has provisions for logging each and every single failed login attempt. It will however log repeated login failures. (Maybe there are custom telnet daemons that will?)

Most people I know use system accounting to keep track of logins.

Your syslog facility should log repeated login failures as it is.

Basically, if a particular daemon (telnet for this case) doesn't have logging that specifically provides for logging of everything to syslog, changing the syslog.conf isn't going to do anything to help you. It only tells syslog which message levels to log and which to ignore pretty much.

I hope this isn't too confusing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

syslog.conf

Hi all I have a RedHat Linux AS2.1 server that keep crashing/rebooting and there are no messages in the /var/log/messages file pointing to any problems. I had a look at the /etc/syslog.conf file to see what gets logged to /var/log/messages, but I don't know what else to add. Can anyone tell me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Event Monitor notification : Severity Serious : what does that mean ???

Hi I received this mail (root) on my hp-ux 11.00. >------------ Event Monitoring Service Event Notification ------------< Notification Time: Thu Mar 22 08:41:28 2007 hostname sent Event Monitor notification information: /storage/events/disks/default/0_0_1_1.0.0 is >= 3. Its current value... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
6 Replies

3. Linux

SYSLOG.CONF another port

Hi everybody, i have a little problem... I have two server srv01 and srv02. srv02 have a syslogd server onboard and listen on 515... not on 514 (it's busy). How i configure the syslog.conf of srv01 for send logs on srv02:515 ??? Now i have on srv01: *.* @srv02 if i write: *.* ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
0 Replies

4. Solaris

syslog-ng.conf

Has anyone here configured a central syslog server using syslog-ng ? I have set one up and I'm trying to tune the syslog-ng.conf file, both for the server and the client. I have found lots of linux example files, but not much on Solaris which is slightly different. So if you have a Solaris... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Want to know about a entry in syslog.conf

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to know about the below entry in syslog.conf in Solaris 10: kern.notice @destserver Now the log will be redirected to destserver. But I want to know the location on the destserver where this log will be thrown. Thanks in Advance, Deepak (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modifying syslog.conf

I have a RHEL box that I want to be the loghost for all of the other systems on my network and have set up a /logs partitions to hold all of the logs. I've also created a file called current.log that will contain daily logs and created it using the following command: cp /dev/null current.log. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

syslog.conf

How can i configure messages with warn priority to be logged in /var/log/mywarnings.log ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g0dlik3
1 Replies

8. Solaris

best configuration for syslog.conf

I would like to configure the syslog.conf to have a good monitoring information about my system. do you have any idea about best configuration from your experience in your Data Centers BR, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Configuring syslog.conf

Hi, I would like to configure syslog linux client, syslog server is windows server. so adding on linux client in /etc/syslog.conf @hostname will work in the place of directory location. example of /etc/syslog.conf # Log all kernel messages to the console. # Logging much else clutters up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies
SYSLOG(8)							  System Logging							 SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)