Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIS Configuration Help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers NIS Configuration Help Post 11654 by PxT on Monday 10th of December 2001 12:08:29 PM
Old 12-10-2001
Try "cd /var/yp ; make"

Not sure if that will work on Solaris 5...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem: Automounting Home directory for nis & nfs configuration doesn't work

Hi all, First of all, i am so sorry about my bad level in English writing. I have some problem in linux and i hope the experts of this forum to help me if they have enough time to reply to me. I have a scenario of configuring NIS and NFS in Redhat Linux environment such that user can login... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioneer
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating that the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled

I'm creating a scrip for auditing our AIX box's to ensure that they are built according to our system standards. I'm not sure on the logic for checking to see if the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled. any idea's? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
2 Replies

6. AIX

Slave NIS server configuration change

Hello Everybody, I have a question regarding SLAVE NIS SERVER in aix. We are using NIS master of Sun Solaris 9.0 which is on different subnet i.e. 10.197.93.0. And Our slave server is having AIX 5.3 installed which is on 10.207.13.0 subnet. I have a query regarding its name and ip address... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jit15975
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

PAM configuration: Kerberos authentication and NIS authorization problem

Hi, I've configured two linux boxes to authenticate against Windows Active Directory using Kerberos while retrieving authorization data (uids, gids ,,,)from NIS. The problem I ran into with my PAM configuration is that all authentication attempts succeed in order.i.e. if someone tried his... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geek.ksa
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 NIS client configuration

Hi, I have a Solaris 10 machine and trying to connect it to a Linux NIS Server. Up till now I have set up NIS so that it does find the NIS server and gets the user list. Automounter also mounts some directories from an NFS server. However, I can't get it to map the shadow passwords (they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dop
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

Removing NIS configuration

Hi, I want to remove the NIS configuration completely from a SCO UNIX 6.0 box. How to do that. I configured it using /mvdev/nis.Dexter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Inquiry: NIS configuration setup

Hello, Good day. I would like to ask for your inputs on this scenario. Currently, we have a NIS virtual machine with a Solaris 10 (32-bit) OS. And also we have another virtual machine with the same OS. And I am asked to set-up a secondary NIS on this another VM, bring down the primary NIS and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SystemAddict
0 Replies
ypmake(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                ypmake(1M)

NAME
ypmake - rebuild NIS database SYNOPSIS
cd /var/yp ; make [map] DESCRIPTION
The file called Makefile in /var/yp is used by make(1S) to build the Network Information Service (NIS) database. With no arguments, make creates dbm databases for any NIS maps that are out-of-date, and then executes yppush(1M) to notify slave databases that there has been a change. If you supply a map on the command line, make will update that map only. Typing make passwd will create and yppush the password database (assuming it is out of date). Likewise, make ipnodes and make networks will create and yppush the ipnodes and network files, $(INET- DIR)/ipnodes and $(DIR)/networks. There are four special variables used by make: DIR, which gives the directory of the source files; NOPUSH, which when non-null inhibits doing a yppush of the new database files; INETDIR, which gives the directory of the ipnodes source file; and DOM, which is used to con- struct a domain other than the master's default domain. The default for DIR is /etc, and the default for INETDIR is /etc/inet. The default for NOPUSH is the null string. Refer to ypfiles(4) and ypserv(1M) for an overview of the NIS service. If a NIS to LDAP (N2L) configuration file, /var/yp/NISLDAPmapping, is present, the NIS server components run in N2L mode. In N2L mode, the server components use a new set of map files with an LDAP-prefix, based on the LDAP DIT. In N2L mode, authoritative NIS information is obtained from the DIT. The NIS source files and ypmake have no role, and they should not be used. If ypmake is accidentally run, then the server components will detect this, and will log a warning message. For additional information, see ypfiles(4). FILES
/var/yp Directory containing NIS configuration files. /etc/inet/hosts System hosts file. /etc/inet Default directory for ipnodes source file. /etc Default directory for source files other than ipnodes. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWypu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), nis+(1), makedbm(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), ypbind(1M), yppush(1M), ypserv(1M), ypclnt(3NSL), NISLDAPmapping(4), ipnodes(4), ypfiles(4), ypserv(4) NOTES
The NIS makefile is only used when running the ypserv(1M) server to provide NIS services. If these are being provided by the NIS+ server running in NIS compatibility mode, see rpc.nisd(1M); this makefile is not relevant. See ypfiles(4) for more details. The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Sun Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality of the two remains the same. Only the name has changed. The name Yellow Pages is a registered trademark in the United Kingdom of British Telecommunications plc, and may not be used without permission. SunOS 5.10 19 Mar 2003 ypmake(1M)