Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Modified dates to a file without the cut command Post 11420 by LivinFree on Wednesday 5th of December 2001 04:00:56 AM
Old 12-05-2001
Lots o' choices!

Heres another:
(ls -la|while read a b c d e f; do echo $e; done) > myfile

or another, if you want only files (not directories):

find . -type f -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '{print $5}' > myfile
(This is how I personally would do it...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing last modified dates

Hi All. Can someone please give me an example of how I'd do a comparison to find out if the last modified date of a file is newer than yesterday (i.e. today - 1 day)? Example: if ; then echo "Do something..." fi Any ideas or examples? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmilks
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list exe files modified before certain dates

Can you please tell me how I can list all EXE files in a dir and Subdir which where modified say before 01/01/2006 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fremont
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes now realised that the changes are not required How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice100
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File processing is very slow with cut command

Dear All, I am using the following script to find and replace the date format in a file. The field18 in the file has the following format: "01/26/2010 11:55:14 GMT+04:00" which I want to convert into the following format "20100126115514" for this purpose I am using the following lines of codes:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cut command in a fixed length file

Hi, I have a file which have set of rows and has to create separate files based on the id. Eg: 001_AHaris020 001_ATony030 002_AChris090 002_ASmit060 003_AJhon001 Output: I want three files like 001_A.txt, 002_A.txt and 003_A.txt. 001_A.txt should have ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing the modified dates of files in two directories

Hi Is it possible to compare the modified dates of all the files in two directories using shell script? I would like to take a backup of a directory in production server regularly. Instead of copying all the files in the directory, is it possible to list only the files that are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to know last modified user of a file

Hi I have below requirement. There are set of files to be monitored for audit purpose. Source file contains the file name and its location on server. Need to have shell script which generate a output file which is having the details of above files ( last modified user name ,lat update... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnatis
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write the dates between 2 dates into a file

Hi All, I am trying to print the dates that falls between 2 date variables into a file. Here is the example. $BUS_DATE =20120616 $SUB_DATE=20120613 Output to file abc.txt should be : 20120613,20120614,120120615,20120616 Can you pls help me accomplish this in LINUX. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file...] cut -c list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like <TAB> (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (use- ful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2: Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.10 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)