Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: core dump
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers core dump Post 11418 by LivinFree on Wednesday 5th of December 2001 02:59:47 AM
Old 12-05-2001
Also, if you're just wondering what caused the core file, you can check file for info...

$ file core

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump

I've got a core dump in my weblogic home directory, which i have tried to debug by initiating savecore from /etc/init.d/savecore start but savecore failed to create the two files, that is vmcore.n and vmunix.n. savecore is enable on my server to save vmcore and vmunix in /var/crash/hostname 1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
4 Replies

3. Programming

about core dump

MY friends: my program under sco unix have a problem? it create a core dump file on the path when execute program , but i can't find the error of the C program ,i don't know how to see the error about my program use core, please help me or give me some suggest and what tools can use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhaohaizhou
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Core dump in HP-UX..

Hi All I am new for this forum. I have a core file by using gdb and bt cmd I got the function name but I want to the exact cause of the core dump because of I can not reproduse the binary so if any one know the cmd plz plz plz let me know. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyanusoni
0 Replies

5. AIX

core dump

My application gives core dump. When i am debugging with dbx getting instructions below: pthdb_session.c, 818: 695445 PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) pthreaded.c, 1941: PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) Illegal instruction (illegal opcode) in . at 0x0 warning: Unable to access address 0x0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bapi
1 Replies

6. Programming

core dump

how to view core dumped file using gdb and how to extract information from the coredumped file.can we get similar information from the other utilites like strace or ptrace. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
2 Replies

7. AIX

Core dump

Hi , I want to read core dump file on AIX5.3. While i am trying to use following commands, i am getting only few lines of information. ux201p3:e46123> dbx capsWrkstnMgr core Type 'help' for help. reading symbolic information ... Segmentation fault in malloc_common.extend_brk at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rps
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No core dump

my progrme complaints 'Segmentation fault'. How to let it print 'Segmentation fault(core dumped)' and generate core dump file? $ulimit unlimited (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
22 Replies

9. HP-UX

Core dump in HP-UX

Hi Guys, I was wondering if somebody could give me a link to a very good source of information or document about core dump process and How to's about it. I have also googled it and found some articles myself. Thanks Messi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies

10. Solaris

core dump

Hi guys, just want to know which core file pattern is best to set for core dumps: 1) per-process file name pattern or 2) global file name pattern. I will really appreciate an explanation why the chosen one is better. Thanks a lot guys. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies
gcore(1)						      General Commands Manual							  gcore(1)

NAME
gcore - get core images of running processes SYNOPSIS
filename] process-id... DESCRIPTION
The command creates a core image of each specified process. By default, the name of the core image file for process-id will be The process information in the core file can be obtained by using debuggers. When the command creates a core image of each specified process, the process is temporarily stopped. Further, when the creation of core image is complete, the process continues to execute. Options Creates the core file with name of the file as If multiple process-id values are specified, filename will be common for all the core image files. See the section. Operands process-id The process ID for which a core image file will be created. RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: A core file was successfully created. An error condition was encountered. In such a case, the creation of a core file is not guaranteed. The error conditions could be because of o A nonexistent or incorrect process ID was specified. o An invalid option was specified. o The current working directory of the process or directory from which was invoked had no write permissions. o The current working directory of the process was not accessible. o The file system is full. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Dump the core image of process 1030 in the file "core.1030". Example 2 Dump the core image of the process 1030 in the file "test.1030". Example 3 Dump the core image of the processes 1030, 1031, 1032, and 1033 in the files "core.1030", "core.1031", "core.1032", "core.1033". Example 4 Dump the core image of the processes 1030, 1031, 1032, and 1033 in the files FILES
Core image file for process-id. (Both where is invoked and the current working directory of the process.) AUTHOR
was developed by Chris Bertin (HP). SEE ALSO
adb(1), gdb(1), kill(1), ttrace(2), a.out(4), core(4). gcore(1)