Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: customizing xterm windows
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers customizing xterm windows Post 1141 by Neo on Saturday 10th of February 2001 03:55:11 PM
Old 02-10-2001
You could force the xterm to start in a particular directory by doing something like:

Quote:

cd /etc; xterm;

OR

cd /usr/local/adm; xterm;
However, it does seem OK that you could do this:

Quote:
xterm -e program [ arguments ... ]

This option specifies the program (and its command line arguments) to be run in the xterm window. It also sets the window title and icon name to be the basename of the program being executed if neither -T nor -n are given on the command line. This must be the last option on the command line.
Note: The -n switch sets the icon name but does not execute a shell command:

Quote:
-n string

This option specifies the icon name for xterm's windows. It is shorthand for specifying ``*iconName'' resource. Note that this is not the same as the toolkit option -name (see below). The default icon name is the application name.
[Edited by Neo on 02-10-2001 at 04:06 PM]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing CDE background

i have a question about setting the background in a workspace in CDE. I have CDE runnning on Solaris 8 here at work and I want to use some images I have as the background in or two of the workspaces. When I use xv on the image and choose the option the option from the Display Menu -> Root:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

customizing desktop

I need help editing my openwin file. I've got it all set up so the options I normally use (xman, cmdtools, xeyes, printtool) automatically come up when I log on, but it won't read my -geometry entries. I got them by right-clicking on the desktop, but apparently they need to be entered a certain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdienlin
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Customizing RHEL OS

Hello Every One, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question. But please help me with your ideas. I have got a work (proj) where i need to customize the RHEL OS . This would involve building packages, installing them , correcting privileges etc and all these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirsha
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing UNIX

Hello i'm just wondering how to customize the color of unix's (or SSH) background, cursor, and letter? Thank you for your time (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgyeah
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xterm console windows at X,Y position

Hi all I want run Xterm and set it windows to a specific position ( inside Gnome display ) : may be I want run Xterm and set it at the low-right corner of screen... I know "geometry" parameter for windows size but for position is there something ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerold
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing from address in mailx command

Currently I am using mailx command for sending mails. But the mail is sent as from userid@servername by default. Is it possible to customise the from mail address in mailx command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

customizing default file permission

By default, the files are creates with this permissions:-rw-rw-r-- Is it possible to customize that in such away that ,always created as 777. Where i need to make changes? Please guide me. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Customizing ps command

Hi, I want to monitor our batch jobs at a specific interval for later analysis to see the performance and CPU utilization USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND ps aux|grep dsadm|head xxxxx 386 0.0 0.0 103524 15448 pts/0 S Mar27 0:00... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Customizing bash on AIX

AIX is really different from most distros I am used to. I am trying to set up my .bashrc so I did this in the file. I noticed when I ssh into the server or use the bash command for a new shell it was being ignored. #------------------------------------------------------------- # Source global... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies
XTERMSET(1)						      General Commands Manual						       XTERMSET(1)

NAME
xtermset - change settings of an xterm SYNOPSIS
xtermset [-option ...] DESCRIPTION
xtermset allows you to change the characteristics of an xterm window from the command line. Most options have the same names as those that you would give xterm at startup. OPTIONS
-store [<filename>] This option will save all the other command line options given to the filename. If filename is omitted then the options will be written to ~/.xtermsetrc. -default [<filename>] This option will load options from the specified filename. If the filename is omitted then the options will be loaded from ~/.xtermsetrc. Options specified on the command line preceed those that are in the options file. -f, -force xtermset normally checks if you are using it on a correct terminal (xterm (derivative) or dtterm (derivative). With this option you can override this checking. -T string, -title string Sets the window title. -n string Sets the icon name. -fg color Sets the VT100 foreground color. -bg color Sets the VT100 background color. -mousefg color Sets the mouse pointer foreground color. -mousebg color Sets the mouse pointer background color. -tekfg color Sets the Tektronix emulation window foreground color. -tekbg color Sets the Tektronix emulation window background color. -cr color Sets the text cursor color. -hc color Sets the color for highlighted (selected) text. -fn font-spec, -font font-spec Sets the font. -geom geometry-spec, -geometry geometry-spec Sets the window size and position; see X(1) for details. FILES
~/.xtermsetrc SEE ALSO
bash(1), xterm(1), X(1) BUGS
-geom does not support offsets from the left or bottom of the screen. If the geometry-spec isn't in the correct format, the output will be strange. AUTHORS
Breyten Ernsting (bje@dds.nl) Decklin Foster (decklin@home.com) User Commands Dec 2000 XTERMSET(1)