Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need quick help with basic FIND in korn shell Post 11241 by Freakytah on Friday 30th of November 2001 03:33:40 PM
Old 11-30-2001
You guys are going off topic, lol

sorry, im making a script for school that runs like this
file is called search

search [filename] [top dir]

and in my code i have
find $2 -name "$1" -print

but thats not working, am i supposed to declare some variable or something to get this to work?

it just gives that error i posted above, something about USage:

thanks, steve

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find -name "*.txt" in Korn Shell Script

The following find command works on the Korn Shell command line: find . \( ! -name . -prune \) -type f -name "*.txt" -mtime +100 In the particular directory I'm in, the above find will list correctly the three text files that exist that haven't been modified in over 100 days: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwperry
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KORN Shell - Spawn new shell with commands

I want to be able to run a script on one server, that will spawn another shell which runs some commands on another server.. I have seen some code that may help - but I cant get it working as below: spawn /usr/bin/ksh send "telnet x <port_no>\r" expect "Enter command: " send "LOGIN:x:x;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert from korn shell to normal shell with this code?

well i have this code here..and it works fine in kornshell.. #!/bin/ksh home=c:/..../ input=$1 sed '1,3d' $input > $1.out line="" cat $1.out | while read a do line="$line $a" done echo $line > $1 rm $1.out however...now i want it just in normal sh mode..how to convert this?... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
21 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and FTP multiple files in Korn Shell

I want to FTP multiple files in a directory that the files were created since midnight of the same day using korn shell. I can use the "find" command using -newer arguement that compares against a time stamp file. The script identifies the files, I can't use a variable = `find . ` as the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lambjam
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a quick basic shell script help

im trying to run the below if command ifconfig -a |grep 10.100.120.21 gives me below output inet addr:10.100.120.21 Bcast:10.100.120.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 i just want a basic shell which says if above exists then continue how would i do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eb222
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick script C shell

Cool. I played with scripts at home over the weekend. Come to find out not working on other shells. I have linux/bash at home, but now I'm trying on Solaris csh. How would I write the following script for Solaris C shell? ---------- #!/bin/bash NBR=231 for ((i = 0; i < $NBR; i++ )) do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Script to find out error in logfile

Hi All, I am new to this forum as well as to unix scripting. Can you please help me to create a korn shell script to find out errors in logfiles and get the name of that logfile ( which is having error) in email and email it to me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jithu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command in Korn Shell

Hi, I am trying to execute the below in Ksh (telnet) find ./request.txt -mmin -30 It says find: bad option -mmin What i am trying to do is by using find command i am checking wheather the file request.txt is there for 30 minutes or not Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinniforu2003
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Help in shell script

Need to subtract date stored in variable from the current date, answer should come in days..and months. Suppose two variable having value like A=”Wed Jan 15 08:59:08 GMT 2014” B= `date` #Sun May 23 09:29:40 GMT 2010 SubtractAB= $A-$B #..? AddAB=$A+$B #... ? C=$B+9 # Sun May 23... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
3 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files meeting a given condition SYNOPSIS
find directory expression EXAMPLES
find / -name a.out -print # Print all a.out paths find /usr/ast ! -newer f -ok rm {} ; # Ask before removing find /usr -size +20 -exec mv {} /big ; # move files > 20 blks find / -name a.out -o -name '*.o' -exec rm {}; # 2 conds DESCRIPTION
Find descends the file tree starting at the given directory checking each file in that directory and its subdirectories against a predi- cate. If the predicate is true, an action is taken. The predicates may be connected by -a (Boolean and), -o (Boolean or) and ! (Boolean negation). Each predicate is true under the conditions specified below. The integer n may also be +n to mean any value greater than n, -n to mean any value less than n, or just n for exactly n. -name s true if current filename is s (include shell wild cards) -size n true if file size is n blocks -inum n true if the current file's i-node number is n -mtime ntrue if modification time relative to today (in days) is n -links ntrue if the number of links to the file is n -newer ftrue if the file is newer than f -perm n true if the file's permission bits = n (n is in octal) -user u true if the uid = u (a numerical value, not a login name) -group gtrue if the gid = g (a numerical value, not a group name) -type x where x is bcdfug (block, char, dir, regular file, setuid, setgid) -xdev do not cross devices to search mounted file systems Following the expression can be one of the following, telling what to do when a file is found: -print print the file name on standard output -exec execute a MINIX command, {} stands for the file name -ok prompts before executing the command SEE ALSO
test(1), xargs(1). FIND(1)