Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I get the fields after a string Post 11200 by Perderabo on Friday 30th of November 2001 10:13:55 AM
Old 11-30-2001
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh
SEARCH=$1

OSTRING="A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H"
STRING=$(echo $OSTRING | sed s/,//g)
set $STRING

integer found
found=0

while (($# && found<3)) ; do
        if ((!found)) ; then
                [[ $1 = $SEARCH ]] && found=1
        else
                RESULT[found]=$1
                ((found=found+1))
        fi
        shift
done

case $found in
0)      echo $SEARCH not found
        ;;
1)      echo $SEARCH was last item in $OSTRING
        ;;
2)      echo $SEARCH was followed only by ${RESULT[1]}
        ;;
3)      echo ${RESULT[1]}, ${RESULT[2]}
        ;;
esac

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to sort a string of numerical data in set fields

So, I will be working with someone and basically we are trying to build a form that is submitted most likely via the web and the data is just a string of numbers. like: 19383882872201110929282821818182827349190102837364718191001932873711 Now, each number is part of a numerical value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK break string into fields + pattern match

I am trying to break a string into separate fields and print the field that matches a pattern. I am using awk at the moment and have gotten this far: awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;++i)print "\t" $i}' longstring This breaks the string into fields and prints each field on a separate line. I want to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mappin strings of two different file and finding the mapped string and then map other fields.

As i am new to unix so facing some problems in scripting: here is my question: i m having two files. 1st file say a.txt contain 3 column like SPECIALITY|UMP_CODE|SPECIALTY_CODE Addictive Diseases|25ADD|ADD Addictive Diseases/Family Practice|25ADD|ADD/FP Aerospace Medicine|1.041666667|AM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsh007
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a delimited string and assign fields to incremented variables?

How can I read a string delimited on spaces and assign the fields to incremented variables. For example: Given $exts= txt dat mov I want to read in $exts and have "txt" "dat" and "mov" assigned to incremented variables like $ext1, $ext2, etc. I would like to do this in a loop so that I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: runit
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying entries based on 2 fields in a string.

Hi Guys, I’m struggling to use two fields to do a duplicate/ unique by output. I want to look IP addresses assigned to more than one account during a given period in the logs. So duplicate IP and account > 1 then print all the logs for that IP. I have been Using AWK (just as its installed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wabbit02
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a separator string between fields in cut -c command

Hi All, I'm trying to view data using cut command for a fixed length file using the below command: cut -c 1-3,4-5 FALCON_PIS_00000000.dat I want to mention a separator say | (pipe) in between 1-3 and 4-5. Please let me know how to achieve this. Thanks in Advance, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk partial string match and add specific fields

Trying to combine strings that are a partial match to another in $1 (usually below it). If a match is found than the $2 value is added to the $2 value of the match and the $3 value is added to the $3 value of the match. I am not sure how to do this and need some expert help. Thank you :). file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If the file argument is a single dash ('-') or no file arguments were specified, lines are read from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. list is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a number, a dash (-), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d string Use the first character of string as the field delimiter character. The default is the <TAB> character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated by the field delimiter character. The selected fields are output, separated by the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppresses lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. EXIT STATUS
cut exits 0 on success, 1 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
December 21, 2008 BSD