Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hi, everybody...i'm a real newbie Post 11171 by PhilO_< on Thursday 29th of November 2001 09:36:22 PM
Old 11-29-2001
MySQL thx

thx for ur information....i'm getting started now...^_^

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

real newbie need to know...

hi everybody, so as you know i'm a real newbie in the unix world and i wanna know if i can install unix (not linux or other derived) on a toshiba T1950 portable computer ? It is a 486 cpu with 8mb ram, monochrom screen, and a 200mb hd, no cdrom... The latest version of unix is not necessary, a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Uninewb
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If this isn't newbie nothing is...how do I start GNOME?

First off, I know this isn't a LINUX board, but I figured it was close enough that no one would get upset. Anyway, I have Windows2000 and Linux running dual-boot. That works fine, but when I boot into Linux all I get is a command prompt. How do I start gnome or kde? I read the manual, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm a newbie (to UNIX)

Hello everyone! I'm new entirely to UNIX and the main reason for my interest for it is its high demand as a robust OS on the back end for managing volumes effectively and flawlessly. The only exposure I've had to comand line/console OS is DOS some time ago (over 15 yrs to be exact). Used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: El Guaca®
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Real Newbie

Helo Friends, I am new to this forum. I am very much intrested to learn UNIX Administration so please can any one teach me or tell me ur suggestions installing , maintaining,administrating,commands,and Shell programming. please leave ur suggestions and guidelines. Thanx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mybestway
1 Replies

10. Solaris

real newbie here...

solaris 10 x86 system installed fr dvd really well....log in no problem etc.... in my true A.D.D nature i want to learn unix...I am not into self punishment but it is something i just want to do.... i am at the command line now and i just want to know what shell it is we are working with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drisnya
5 Replies
starting(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       starting(7)

NAME
starting - event signalling that a job is starting SYNOPSIS
starting JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The starting event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when a new instance of a job begins starting. The JOB environment variable contains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue starting. This allows jobs to effectively insert themselves as dependencies of other jobs. The event is typically combined with the stopped(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the starting event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running whenever another service would be running, started before and stopped after it, might use: start on starting apache stop on stopped apache A task that must be run before another task or service is started might use: start on starting postgresql SEE ALSO
started(7) stopping(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 starting(7)