Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell script - loop to countdown Post 11127 by Perderabo on Thursday 29th of November 2001 09:45:28 AM
Old 11-29-2001
We're really not supposed to help folks with homework assignments on this board. But you've done most of the work and you're stuck on a very tricky problem.

if [ -n $x ]

will not work, If there is nothing in x the command becomes:

if [ -n ]

So you need to use

if [ -n "$x" ]

Now when threre's nothing in x, the command becomes

if [ -n "" ]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

If then else loop in Shell script

Hi Following is the code . When I give input as Bangalore,its dospalying Welcome to Hitech City. But say , if I select Delhi or US, its not displaying the corresponding message. Its still says Welcome to Hitech City. Seems that it not entering in the elif part. Please suggest. #!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display runnning countdown in a bash script?

I am looking for a way to display on a single line, a running countdown for a given amount of time in a terminal using a bash script. I am looking for this to use as part of a larger bash script that captures Video. The script sets up a bunch of parameters for DVgrab, and one of the parameters... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starcast
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with loop in a shell script

I just want to write a little script, that reads the lines from a file, echos somthing in a new tmp.file and then do some commands whith the tmp.files. while read -r line do echo "TEST=" > tmp.$$ echo "$line" >> tmp.$$ any_command < tmp.$$ done < $INPUTFILE But I think I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elifchen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop! (the countdown!) :-) shell script help

Hi guys, I've found two nifty little scripts on these forums one which detects if the F5 key has been pressed: #/bin/sh _key() { local kp ESC=$'\e' _KEY= read -d '' -sn1 _KEY case $_KEY in "$ESC") while read -d '' -sn1 -t1 kp do _KEY=$_KEY$kp ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using loop

Hi everyone, I have n number of data in my file "temp" in following order.In each line table_name and column_name are different.input data is in same format each query in three lines. ALTER TABLE table_name ADD ( column_name1 VARCHAR2(10), column_name2 VARCHAR2(70) ); ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisha
23 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell scripting - gives a message on Fridays and a countdown on other business days.

Hey - I need to write a shell script that gives a message on Fridays and a countdown on other business days. ("Today is Thursday, one day to go to Friday") I don't know if I should be scheduling a job for friday using the crontab command? Basically i'm totally lost. Any help would be greatly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: citizencro
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone know of any FUN countdown script

Hi all, Does anyone know of any FUN countdown script that I can use for my script? At the moment, am just using sleep 10 or more and then print stuff into the screen to allow more time for the user to decide whether they want to continue running the script or abort? Just thought of wanting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the For loop shell script

Hi, I have multiple files in a directory. Each file will have a header.I have to check if any of the files has 0 rows other than the header then I have to delete the files. Here “ Empty file” in my case means a file has header information but no data. I have to delete such files. If the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesnar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop in shell script

Hi Friends, I have a file. the content is as below: file1: /A/B/C/abc.txt 2013-07-28 13:50:00,2013-07-31 01:00:00,5,710 /A/B/C/xyz.txt 2011-09-21 18:30:00,2013-07-30 06:15:00,15,65135 2009-11-09 18:00:00,2011-09-02 09:00:00,5,12345 2013-07-28 13:50:00,2013-07-31 01:00:00,5,710 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script countdown

In the below bash when the perl is it possible to hide the commands from running on screen and display a process countdown? For example, on the cygwin screen now the user sees each process in the command running as running protocol refGene, running protocol popfreq_all, etc... Could a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)