Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stderr
Top Forums Programming stderr Post 10836 by dell9 on Wednesday 21st of November 2001 05:37:27 PM
Old 11-21-2001
stderr

in

fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n");

what does stderr mean?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR output

Hi, Need some help here on a script I'm writing. I know that STDERR is normally done is this manner: script 2>stderr.out However, if I wanted to output the stderr from a rsh command how do I do that? Example: su - username -c "rsh $hostname /opt/gilberteu/scriptname" 1>stdout... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
5 Replies

3. BSD

Awstats stderr solution

Hello! Firts of all, sorry fo my poor english, but i hope you'll undestand me :) Ok, let's go to the problem.... I have a lot of awstats crontabs, and i have one mail,where i get daily and weekly output of all servers that i administrate, now it's problem that i get to his mail every time,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flashm3
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stderr problem

% ls -ld /usr /foo ls: /foo: No such file or directory drwxr-xr-x 14 root wheel 512 May 18 02:49 /usr % ls -ld /usr /foo 1>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. % ls -ld /usr /foo 2>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. ^^Why why why doesn't this work for me. Furthermore, where is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append stderr

Hi everybody. I was used to redirect stderr to a file in this way, calling a generic script:./myScript &> output.logBut now I need something more sophisticated...Inside a bash script I launch an executable in this way:${command} >> "${globalLogFile}"So I redirect the stdout into globalLogFile.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr to a file as well

Hello everyone, I'm a nooby in Linux, and I need some help. I have a shell script like this: echo "Start of script" > ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log .. cp ../My_DataIn/File.txt ../My_DataOut/ 2>> ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log rc=$? .. echo "End of Script" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: H.Faria
5 Replies

9. Solaris

can't get stderr port

Hi Experts, i have a solaris 9 OS and i get the following message repeated many time in my /var/adm/messages : Oct 31 16:30:44 baobab rsh: can't get stderr port: Cannot assign requested address have you any idea how can i resolve this issue ??:confused: thanks for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt regarding stderr

Hi All, I am writing a shell script code. and i want the stderr to be send to a file and the stdout to be displayed in terminal. In my shell script code i use a read command to get data from user.read -r -p "Enter the type :" data and while i execute my script i use./my_script.sh 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth R
4 Replies
FD(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     FD(4)

NAME
fd, stdin, stdout, stderr -- file descriptor files DESCRIPTION
The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can be accessed through the file system. If the file descriptor is open and the mode the file is being opened with is a subset of the mode of the existing descriptor, the call: fd = open("/dev/fd/0", mode); and the call: fd = fcntl(0, F_DUPFD, 0); are equivalent. Opening the files /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr is equivalent to the following calls: fd = fcntl(STDIN_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDERR_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); Flags to the open(2) call other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR are ignored. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
By default, /dev/fd is provided by devfs(5), which provides nodes for the first three file descriptors. Some sites may require nodes for additional file descriptors; these can be made available by mounting fdescfs(5) on /dev/fd. FILES
/dev/fd/# /dev/stdin /dev/stdout /dev/stderr SEE ALSO
tty(4), devfs(5), fdescfs(5) BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD