Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I neede help!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I neede help!!! Post 10759 by Kelam_Magnus on Tuesday 20th of November 2001 03:33:53 PM
Old 11-20-2001
Treuenfels,

It looks like you have a good learning experience here.

There have been other postings about "breaking into a system".

Search for words like "root", " no login", "single-user mode", "single user mode".

My first suggestion is: Try to reboot the box and when it asks for the interrupt, do it... it should offer you a way to get to single-user mode which is a very low-level for the box. Some systems don't require root passwd at this level.

When (if) you get there, type "mount -a" to mount all filesystems.
Then modify the root password. Type "passwd root". Then make it something simple that you can remember. I know this is a security risk but in your case it won't matter.

If this doesn't work, you may be able to boot from a tape or CD that has the OS on it.

As I said, search this forum for key words relating to "no root login" or similar words.

Hope this will help you. Good luck learning UNIX.

Smilie

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to find one command from multiple files and need to print that file which contains neede com

Hi all i need your help .. I am having a multiple file in directory and i have find out the Rcopy word from these files and need to print those files which contains the Rcopy word Thanks and regards Vijay sahu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Figure out the minimum os version neede to run executable or link library.

Hello, I need to figure out the minimum OS version needed to run some executable. For the following OS: Linux, AIX, Solaris. For example how do I know the minimum OS version for /bin/ls ? "file" command does not give me much information. There are some tools that are helpful for understanding... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: +Yan
4 Replies
NWPJMV(1)							      nwpjmv								 NWPJMV(1)

NAME
nwpjvm - Move print job to Unix queue SYNOPSIS
nwpjmv [ -S server ] [ -h ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -q queue name ] [ -c command ] [ -j job number ] [ -d ] DESCRIPTION
nwpjmv is a program that connects to print queues on NetWare servers and moves a designated print job to a Unix queue. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the print server name at the server. -P password password is the password to use for the print server at the server. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, pserver prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if the print server does not require a password. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -q queue name queue name is the name of the print queue you want to service. -c command nwpjmv removes the designated job from the Novell queue and feeds the job file to stdin. command is the printing command that is exe- cuted for each job. The default command is 'lpr'. You can insert several flags into the command, preceded by %. These are replaced with values retrieved from the queue structure for the print job. %u: This field will be replaced by the name of the user who posted this print job. %d: This field will be replaced by the job description field of this print job. -j job number This designates the ID number of the print job to be moved. -d causes extra error messages to be logged. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), slist(1), pqlist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8), pserver(1) CREDITS
nwpjmv was written by Bruno Browning (bruno@lss.wisc.edu) based on pserver by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) nwpjmv 03/15/2003 NWPJMV(1)