Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I neede help!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I neede help!!! Post 10564 by Treuenfels on Friday 16th of November 2001 09:17:52 AM
Old 11-16-2001
Okay...
Its an Ultrix V4.2A System... from 1991
The firm is DIGITAL
The CPU= KN02

More Information i dont have...
Its my first time on a Unix-system and i have no help...

Sorry... tell me how i get mor infos from the system and i do it Smilie

Im ashamed that i cant bring you much more infos, but im realy bad at Unix...

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to find one command from multiple files and need to print that file which contains neede com

Hi all i need your help .. I am having a multiple file in directory and i have find out the Rcopy word from these files and need to print those files which contains the Rcopy word Thanks and regards Vijay sahu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Figure out the minimum os version neede to run executable or link library.

Hello, I need to figure out the minimum OS version needed to run some executable. For the following OS: Linux, AIX, Solaris. For example how do I know the minimum OS version for /bin/ls ? "file" command does not give me much information. There are some tools that are helpful for understanding... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: +Yan
4 Replies
news(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   news(1)

NAME
news - Writes system news items to standard output SYNOPSIS
news [-a|-n|-s] | [item...] The news command keeps you informed of news concerning the system. OPTIONS
Displays all news items, regardless of the currency time. The currency time does not change. Reports the names of current news items without displaying their contents. The currency time does not change. Reports the number of current news items without displaying their names or contents. The currency time does not change. DESCRIPTION
Each news item is contained in a separate file in the /usr/news directory. Anyone having read/write permission to this directory can cre- ate a news file. If you run the news command without any options, it displays the current files in /usr/news, beginning with the most recent. You can also specify the items you want displayed. Each file is preceded by an appropriate header. To avoid reporting old news, news stores a currency time. The news command considers your currency time to be the modification time of the file named $HOME/.news_time. Each time you read the news, the modification time of this file changes to that of the reading. Only news item files posted after this time are considered current. Pressing the Interrupt key sequence during the display of a news item stops the display of that item and starts the next. Pressing the Interrupt key sequence again ends news. Most users run news each time they log in by including the following line in their $HOME/.profile file or in the system's /etc/profile: news -n EXAMPLES
To display the items that were posted since you last read the news, enter: news To display all the news items, enter: news -a | pg This displays all the news items a page at a time, regardless of whether you have read them yet. To list the names of the news items that you have not read yet, enter: news -n Each name is a file in the /usr/news directory. To display specific news items, enter: news newusers services This displays news about newusers and services, which are names listed by news -n. To display the number of news items that you have not read yet, enter: news -s To post news for everyone to read, enter: cp schedule /usr/news This copies the file schedule into the system news directory ( /usr/news) to create the file /usr/news/schedule. To do this, you must have write permission for /usr/news. FILES
System profile. News files. Indicates the last time news was read. SEE ALSO
Commands: pg(1) news(1)