Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find files containing text
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find files containing text Post 10541 by Shakey21 on Thursday 15th of November 2001 09:50:18 PM
Old 11-15-2001
Recursive Grep

and another useful way is to try this: grep -il "hello" `find .`

i find that another useful way of doing a recurvsive grep

find . -type f -exec grep -il "hello" {} \;

or if you know the file type

find . -type f -name "*.ext" -exec grep -il "hello" {} \

and/ or if you just want your files

find . -type f -user myname -name "*.ext" -exec grep -il "hello" {} \

and obviously you can still output this to a log file using the redirect >

I hope this helps
Shakey21

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a text in jar and zip files.??

Hi, I have classes dir, in that I have jar and zip files, I need to find "Param.class" is in which zip or jar file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files where text case is different

I need to search a directory for files that have certain text in the file name. I use the following command to do that successfully - find /abc/indicator -name '*midday*.ind' The problem is some file names are lower case, some mixed case and some upper case. Is there a way to do the find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: schipper
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting files with find command before sending to text file

i need help with my script.... i am suppose to grab files within a certain date range now i have done that already using the touch and find command (found them in other threads) touch -d "$date_start" ./tmp1 touch -d "$date_end" ./tmp2 find "$data_location" -maxdepth 1 -newer ./tmp1 !... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deking
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash snippet to find files based on a text file?

Evening all. I'm having a terrible time with a script I've been working on for a few days now... Say I have a text file named top10song.tm2, with the following in it: kernkraft 400 Imagine i kissed a girl Thriller animals hallelujah paint it black psychosocial Oi to the world... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJ Charlie
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text containing paths and replace with a string in all the python files

I have 100+ python files in a single directory. I need to replace a specific path occurrence with a variable name. Following are the find and the replace strings: Findstring--"projects\\Debugger\\debugger_dp8051_01\\debugger_dp8051_01.cywrk" Replacestring--self.projpath I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorsam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and add/replace text in text files

Hi. I would like to have experts help on below action. I have text files in which page nubmers exists in form like PAGE : 1 PAGE : 2 PAGE : 3 and so on there is other text too. I would like to know is it possible to check the last occurance of Page... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find text in files without using the word itself but the assigned variable of it

I'm having a problem how to find the specific word in a file without using the word itself as a search but using the assigned variable which is the $passwd.. what command should I use to find the value of $passwd written in different script? how do I use the command to print the value in this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using 2 text files as arrays.

Here's the nonfunctional code I have so far #!/bin/bash searchFor=(`cat filea.txt` ) replaceWith=(`cat fileb.txt`) myMax=${#searchFor} myCounter=1 while ; do sed -i 's/${$searchFor}/${$replaceWith}/g' done The goal is to use each line in filea.txt as a search term, and each line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erulisseuiin
2 Replies

9. Linux

Search only text files with 'find' command?

I've been using this to search an entire directory recursively for a specific phrase in my code (html, css, php, javascript, etc.): find dir_name -type f -exec grep -l "phrase" {} \; The problem is that it searches ALL files in the directory 'dir_name', even binary ones such as large JPEG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Collider
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text that is different in two files

In the attached files, I am trying to use import.txt to find what is missing in all.txt and print the missing lines in missing.txt. I used SQL to import a list into a database and got errors and need to figure out what didn't import correctly. The below script is close, I think, but doesn't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)