Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers making a .sh wait for user input Post 10502 by PxT on Thursday 15th of November 2001 12:17:14 PM
Old 11-15-2001
echo "Hit return to continue"
read dummy_variable

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wait for input

I got this from one of my instructors years ago and I use it constantly: echo "Press any key to continue\c" oldstty=$(stty -g) stty -icanon -echo min 1 time 0 dd bs=1 count=1 2>/dev/null stty "$oldstty" (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
0 Replies

2. Programming

making sure input are digits

hello, everyone. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me how to set up the isdigit() (or another way) to ake sure that the input are all digits and not chars. Also, the way my program is set now you need to rerun it in order to renter the data. Is there any way that i can get it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Making a Log of user activity in Solaris 10

My first post. I need a simple way to log user activity to a unique file for each user and also if any user su's to root, I would like to capture that activity and have it in the unique file for that user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powerrack
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needing to wait for a line on screen and then give input repeatedly

So I have a weird question for my unix shell script. I wrote a shell script that does several things, but one of the things it does is call an executable. The executable then proceeds to start asking me questions, which it won't proceed until an input is entered. The answer to the questions is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HelpMeProgram
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read does not wait for user input in some circumstances

Hello. I am running 2 scripts : script_1 and script_2 These scripts are run as root Script 2 contains : #!/bin/bash # # ~/bin/script_2 # E_BAD_PARAM=115 # date2stamp () { date --date "$1" +%Y-%m-%d___%H:%M:%S } # USER_NAME=$1 NB_PARAM=$# PARAM0=$0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory - A factory to create Bio::Search::Hit::HitI objects SYNOPSIS
use Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory; my $factory = Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory->new(); my $resultobj = $factory->create(@args); DESCRIPTION
This is a general way of hiding the object creation process so that we can dynamically change the objects that are created by the SearchIO parser depending on what format report we are parsing. This object is for creating new Hits. FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to the Bioperl mailing list. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track of the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Jason Stajich Email jason@bioperl.org APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new Title : new Usage : my $obj = Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory->new(); Function: Builds a new Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory object Returns : Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory Args : create Title : create Usage : $factory->create(%args) Function: Create a new L<Bio::Search::Hit::HitI> object Returns : L<Bio::Search::Hit::HitI> Args : hash of initialization parameters type Title : type Usage : $factory->type('Bio::Search::Hit::GenericHit'); Function: Get/Set the Hit creation type Returns : string Args : [optional] string to set perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::Search::Hit::HitFactory(3pm)